Rehandling a SAK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
nickg said:
bushwacker bob how do you fix the new scales on - is there a slickway or do you just epoxy them straight on. also do you profile them first or shape them on the knife. Ive seen some with mosaic pins are they just set in or what.
Lots of questions i know - i fancy dressing mine up a bit but not really sure where to start.

Cheers
Nick
They way I do them is fairly similar to Cosco's tutorial via the above link.I usually reduce the height of the protruding rivets by about 50% as it doesn't affect their strenth and means I can make thinner replacement scales.I like to have the scales not much thicker than the originals.Mosaic pins on SAKs are usually 'false' pins and are set into the scale as opposed to going right through the knife.
I dont have electricity in my shed,so I make the scales oversized and then sand it all down.If you want a mosaic pin to go right through the knife and act as a pivot, then you have to re-drill the hole in the blade as SAK pivot pins are less than 1.5mm diameter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE