Red V Black. Which berries are statistically more dangerous

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Been having an interesting debate with a guy on fb who got taught a rhyme

"red could be dead, black you'll come back"

Obviously it's not a rule to live (or die) by but...

[EDIT] the rhyme is not something to take seriously. I know this. Do not use it as a mantra with which to live your life. However the pedant in me would like to prove it either way. Soooooo if that post you're writing is to tell me that I must learn each in turn, yes, I know, please save your pixels for a more worthwhile thread. Otherwise if you wish to add some UK red or black berries to the list, or classify them as edible/poisonous then please feel free to jump in. Phew. [/EDIT]

Now in my mind if you include droops et all (raspberries and strawberries etc.) this doesn't ring true. ..and even if you don't. I think I'd draw the line at a damson though.

Haws are the most common red Berry? Ivy the most common Black? Or perhaps Bramble.

But either way there are far more haws around.

So by commonality i think red would be safer. By species? Not sure.

So anyone care to list as many Black and Red berries and droops as we can think of then we can see which are poisonous?

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Black

Bramble
Ivy
Tutsan
Black nightshade
Dogwood
Herb Paris
Deadly nightshade
Blueberry
Crowberry
Sloes (not a berry really)

Red

Lords and ladies
Rowan
Strawberry
Raspberries
Haws
Dogwood
Holly
Yew
Rosehip
Whitebeam
Honeysuckle
Guelder Rose
Black Bryony

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
All rules of thumb are to be distrusted when it comes to edibles, because you only need to get it wrong once to make yourself seriously ill, or worse.

They also only ever apply in regional circumstances. Would that rule work in South Africa, for example? I don't know. I'm not sure it even works in the UK or North America.

If you don't know with 100% certainty what it is, and that it is edible, then you shouldn't be eating it anyway.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
All rules of thumb are to be distrusted when it comes to edibles, because you only need to get it wrong once to make yourself seriously ill, or worse.

They also only ever apply in regional circumstances. Would that rule work in South Africa, for example? I don't know. I'm not sure it even works in the UK or North America.

If you don't know with 100% certainty what it is, and that it is edible, then you shouldn't be eating it anyway.
Of course. But that doesn't stop me being inquisitive anyway. Uk only please.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have to say that it doesn't hold true.
Yews are red, and we know that the arial is safe to eat, but supposing folks didn't and they munched a dozen or so, crunching and swallowing the seeds as they did so.
Not much recovering from that :sigh:
Lords and Ladies though; very irritating, and much reported, but folks do recover from that.

I liked the premise that we had to list ones found in the UK, and then realised that we've imported a lot of weird stuff into our gardens over the years.

I'm a little stressed and fretting, so keeping me occupied is a good thing. Thanks for an interesting query Mike :D
I've been surfing the net for plants I know of that are of dubious repute. I keep finding really interesting sites :cool:
http://www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/default.htm

atb,
M

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have to say that it doesn't hold true.
Yews are red, and we know that the arial is safe to eat, but supposing folks didn't and they munched a dozen or so, crunching and swallowing the seeds as they did so.
Not much recovering from that :sigh:
Lords and Ladies though; very irritating, and much reported, but folks do recover from that.

I liked the premise that we had to list ones found in the UK, and then realised that we've imported a lot of weird stuff into our gardens over the years.

I'm a little stressed and fretting, so keeping me occupied is a good thing. Thanks for an interesting query Mike :D
I've been surfing the net for plants I know of that are of dubious repute. I keep finding really interesting sites :cool:
http://www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/default.htm

atb,
M

It's also tricky depending on your definition of berry too..

That's a good site..

I just thought there are more red berries around you can eat, what with haws and rose hips being around for so long and so prolific.

The only black berries I would trust without further investigation are bilberries and brambles. Brambles are common but short lived.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Rhymes are wrong. Feed the berries to the neighbor kids as a test.
Seriously, there's a whole lot more to competent bushcraft than just berry color.
Learn the bushes, the shapes, the twig color, the details of the leaves.
We've got red, black, blue and white. Some will kill you.
You get really sick, it the middle of nowhere, you have a problem.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think that's area dependant really; we certainly have blackcurrant bushes growing wild here....they sprawl out into massive great things that root when any branch touches the ground; but we are damp and fertile here, so given half a chance most things will grow.

Elerberries are prolific and not every tree tastes bitter. Some are very sweet indeed, especially when very ripe. I was working through at Crammond several years ago, and we realised that the kids were covered in sticky purple juice. They'd found a Boortree covered in fruit and had started to use it to dye their tshirts....and then discovered that it was sweet :rolleyes: biggest mess in ages, but the kids were fine. I admit that these children were as wild as the heather anyway, and had been reared in woodland protest camps for half their young lives, but they were still fine, and no upset tummies.
Normally, elders ? hmmm, can't say I'm fond of the berries. Ian makes jam from them, and loves it. I like the flourish but the berries are only fit for making robbs from I think.....and dye :)

M

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Rhymes are wrong. Feed the berries to the neighbor kids as a test.
Seriously, there's a whole lot more to competent bushcraft than just berry color.
Learn the bushes, the shapes, the twig color, the details of the leaves.
We've got red, black, blue and white. Some will kill you.
You get really sick, it the middle of nowhere, you have a problem.

You're missing the point, or taking it too seriously, or I haven't put my point across well enough. We know the rhyme is wrong. But I'd still like to stastistically prove it either way.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I put them in because they can be really, really small. Bird cherries and geans are smaller than marbles, and cherries happily cross breed among themselves.
Damsons too; I know they can be as big as small greengages, but HWMBLT brought home some he'd foraged in Summer that were the size of small sloes.

I do take your point though, and it's reasonable to have some cut off size thing.

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE