Red birch bark - near inflamable!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Vandals have broken a few branches off some red birch trees in our local park so I thought I would gather some of the bark for firelighting.

The bark was peeling off in strips, just like silver birch, but felt more like polythene than paper and was quite waxy. I tried to get it to catch with sparks from a firesteel but had no luck and found it quite difficult to rough up the surface with a knife. In the end, I resorted to a match to it and it still wouldn't go up!

Really surprised me - hot and dry day too.

Any one else had this?

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Not sure of the tree exactly, but I noticed on Saturday in a park near me is a tree that I'd guess was red birch from the description.

The bark was peeling off like silver birch so, like you I thought I'd try it as tinder but just like you, coudn't get it to burn even with a match! :rolleyes:

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Turns out that the tree was not a birch after all, it is a "birch bark cherry". Not a birch - just looks like one. Sadly, it doesn't seem to burn like one though.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Birch bark cherry
1spring01.jpg
Not had a chance to try it.

Have had a chance to work with Paper Bark Maple
paper1.jpg

Fairly good for tinder. Ever tried making a small tube of paper, birch bark, or this guy and putting a piece of ignited char cloth in the end and blowing it to flame in 2 blows?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE