Recommend me a cordless drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
One for the tradesmen, DIYers and odd job men!

I'm after a new drill. Must be cordless and capable of drilling into brick and concrete. Budget £150/200.

I'm after a new one so won't be looking at second hand nor do I have the time to scour Sunday carboots.....

Any recommendations appreciated. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Before anyone scoffs - think of the 3 year no-quibble return warranty - LIDL , ALDI.

Why pay more when you get away with less if its One for the tradesmen, DIYers and odd job men!

Reactions: bopdude

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Before anyone scoffs - think of the 3 year no-quibble return warranty - LIDL , ALDI.

Why pay more when you get away with less if its One for the tradesmen, DIYers and odd job men!
Because of how it works in use? It might last three years but if it’s a pig to use and makes the job harder then no thanks. I’ve used some cheaper end combi drills and it was painful.

Makita, dewalt, Milwaukee. I think they’re all much of a muchness at the top end so assuming you don’t have existing batteries then whichever takes your fancy and the colour you prefer….. (I’m a makita man and happy!)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Because of how it works in use? It might last three years but if it’s a pig to use and makes the job harder then no thanks. I’ve used some cheaper end combi drills and it was painful.

Makita, dewalt, Milwaukee. I think they’re all much of a muchness at the top end so assuming you don’t have existing batteries then whichever takes your fancy and the colour you prefer….. (I’m a makita man and happy!)

I was focusing more on the people mentioned - 2/3 of which "DIYers and odd job men!" - are more than likely to only use very occasionally - yes if you want to drop serious money on some quality kit that you will use every day - go high end. I did as a Hard landscaper and I invested in tooling that was relevant to the amount of times I used it ( daily ) but as Van -Wild is saying something more infrequently I'm suggesting a different option.

Also as I believe Van Wild lives and works from his van - if at any time the van is broken into and the tools nicked its far less to replace them.

However - different views and opinions. I guess only he knows how often he tends to use them. I've picked up the budget stuff whilst stuck on a job and was pleasantly surprised with just how well it fared.

Reactions: Van-Wild

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Drilling into concrete I'd probably look at SDS rather than a combi drill. I've got a reasonable hammer drill, but if there's aggregate involved I'm better off breaking out the SDS instead.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I can only recommend what I have used but there are other good makes out there. I have had the equivalent of the Makita (below) for over 8 years and it has been flawless. The range includes much heavier models as well as SDS bit versions but this one is more than capable of drilling into masonry. Remember, you are buying into a 'battery system' because it makes no sense to have different tools wanting different batteries. I buy Waitley batteries (half the price of Makita) and they last well.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
My suggestion is if you have any other cordless kit then get that brand so you can swap batteries around.

If you don't then I can recommend the Dewalt drill that Nigelp linked. I bought mine 3+ years ago with 3mah batteries. I've drilled 10mm holes into concrete without it struggling at all and the batteries last ages between charging.

I can see where TeeDee is coming from about the Aldi and Lidl range but that only works if they're on sale at the time you want to buy one. If they're not then you can go several months before they are.

Reactions: EdS and Ystranc

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
It’s a while since I’ve bought a new cordless drill, I have a Bosh 24v that has lasted ages and has a good hammer action. I also have a Screwfix own Titan which I defiantly do not recommend as it’s ergonomics, motor, gearbox and chuck size mark it out as a bit of sacrificial crap so that you wouldn’t have to worry about accidentally dropping it off scaffolding or into a sceptic tank.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm after a new drill. Must be cordless and capable of drilling into brick and concrete. Budget £150/200.

Any recommendations appreciated. Cheers!
I use cordless tools a lot so here are my thoughts

1) Don't buy rubbish. DeWalt, Makita or Milwaukee - nothing else

2) Get brushless motors where possible - they last longer

3) Concrete drilling is hard. Combi drills can do it occasionally but it's a big ask. Combi drills can do brick easily

4)Combi drills are lighter, cheaper and smaller than brutal SDS drills which are better for concrete

5) SDS drills cannot be used as screwdrivers - combi drills can

If you want an SDS, this is my choice

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Personally I use ryobi, as that’s the system I bought when I first started. Although I don’t really hammer them anyway so it doesn’t matter too much to me.

But… If I were to start again I’d get Milwaukee. 100% the only people who haven’t had issues are those that own Milwaukee. All others have had issues, desalt batteries are actually crap so I wouldn’t bother with those. We use them at work and they die pretty quickly.

@British Red I’d urge you to look into compact sds drills now. They’re very good and quite delicate actually.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
@British Red I’d urge you to look into compact sds drills now. They’re very good and quite delicate actually.
I've tried them but found they lacked torque to be honest - "neither fish nor fowl". Not light enough for screw driving for a long time nor powerful enough for chiselling. But of course as a compromise tool, cheaper than buying both so I can see the attraction. These things are very personal. I keep a combi drill in a belt holster when working at height so weight & form really matter to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: FerlasDave

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It does - as you say, for most - but I keep hitting up against stuff that shrugs off even the most determined masonry bit. Just needs a bit more weight in the hammer to cope with the stuff that thwarts me.

DCD996...
I have both & for drilling significant holes in concrete with large aggregate in it the SDS is vastly superior. The combi is fine on brick & block but sinking Rawl bolts into concrete can be beyond it I agree

Reactions: ESpy

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I've tried them but found they lacked torque to be honest - "neither fish nor fowl". Not light enough for screw driving for a long time nor powerful enough for chiselling. But of course as a compromise tool, cheaper than buying both so I can see the attraction. These things are very personal. I keep a combi drill in a belt holster when working at height so weight & form really matter to me.

Sorry I didn’t mean in replace of a combi drill. I always try that first and then go on to the sds if it’s too tough. Most houses up here are solid stone so pretty hard. I just meant in regard to having a good sds option but without all the weight and bulk of a big one.

I wouldn’t have even considered using one to drive srcews.

Reactions: British Red

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I was focusing more on the people mentioned - 2/3 of which "DIYers and odd job men!" - are more than likely to only use very occasionally - yes if you want to drop serious money on some quality kit that you will use every day - go high end. I did as a Hard landscaper and I invested in tooling that was relevant to the amount of times I used it ( daily ) but as Van -Wild is saying something more infrequently I'm suggesting a different option.

Also as I believe Van Wild lives and works from his van - if at any time the van is broken into and the tools nicked its far less to replace them.

However - different views and opinions. I guess only he knows how often he tends to use them. I've picked up the budget stuff whilst stuck on a job and was pleasantly surprised with just how well it fared.
The hole you’re drilling or screw you’re screwing doesn’t care if you’re a professional or a diy-er…..

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
It does - as you say, for most - but I keep hitting up against stuff that shrugs off even the most determined masonry bit. Just needs a bit more weight in the hammer to cope with the stuff that thwarts me.

DCD996...
For those occasions I have this beast of a drill :- 99% of the time the cordless does fine.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb653sds-5-9kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-230-240v/6846h

Edit- these drills are fantastic value. I’ve used them to drill and hammer all day to remove fence post concrete etc. I have a more substantial breaker now but I often put the Titan in my car if I’m not sure what I’ll face on a job.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE