recent projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blackshuck

Apr 29, 2007
Suffolk / Cambs border
Here are some recent projects I've been working on. The first one is a knife I made from a landrover leaf spring, last year. Originally I made it with a very deep blade with a sabre grind. I was never entirely happy with the lines, so I reworked it to a much slimmer profile and took the bevels out to a convexed edge on a flat grind. The guard is ally , the handle is a piece of ebony followed by a piece of stained maple. The handle is pinned through the tang with a hand turned ebony pin. Its now more of a bird and trout.
210mm oal blade about 100mm

DSCF4396.jpg

DSCF4400.jpg

DSCF4402.jpg

DSCF4398.jpg

DSCF4404.jpg

DSCF4405.jpg

DSCF4407.jpg

DSCF4403.jpg

The sheath is the usual 4mm veg tanned leather glued, dyed, stitched, and wet moulded, but with a little different take on the belt loop.

The next one is another knife I made a little while ago and I have just built a little pocket sheath for it

DSCF4381.jpg

DSCF4371.jpg

DSCF4370.jpg

DSCF4368.jpg

Its a piece of 01 with a scandi grind and a copper and ceanothus handle
wet moulded sheath.
The last one is made from an old file with a stainless guard, a buffalo horn spacer and a handle from a piece of burr field maple root.
65mm blade with full flat grind. It was differentially heat treated with clay back to give a visible hamon, which doesn't show too well in the pics. The tang is pinned throgh with a ebony pin for added strength.

4mm wet moulded dangler sheath.

DSCF4361.jpg

DSCF4364.jpg

DSCF4373.jpg

DSCF4379.jpg

DSCF4378.jpg

DSCF4380.jpg

Thanks for looking

David:)

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice knives, Like the handle shapes, they work well with the blades, nice leather work aswell.

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
The modified scandi butt on those is perfect... i like the way you've thinned it out horizontally but still kept the vertical profile. Kudos!

How well do the ebony pins hold up under wet conditions... do they get tighter with more precip?... It may be possible to do some really neat variations of mosaic pins with wood inserts instead of metal...hmmm:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE