Reccomdation For Walking Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pinty

Mar 24, 2006
London
Anthony Micallef said:
Thank you for your replies, I'm even more confused now! :confused: I think what I'm after is a jacket that does a bit of everything, keeps me warm and dry and is able to be worn without having to add other layers over the top of it. If it comes with a removable fleece then so be it.
Hi Anthony
Just taking the following things into consideration:
- warm and dry
- does a bit of everything
- less than £150
- general outdoor winter jacket
I reckon your best bet would be a Barbour, or similar waxed jacket.

On the other hand if I had the £150 to spend on myself, I would get:
Buffalo Mountain Shirt £70
Windproof Smock £15
Cheap Fleece £20-30
MOD Police Goretex Jacket £15
German Army Poncho £12
Which I think would be pretty handy in a lot of different situations.

Cheers, P

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
PhilParry said:
Aaah...that's cos I couldn't go. Where's the link/piccies/ Bardster?

Tell us everything!!

Phil

Well I dont have all the details as its not my project - Hopefully Stuart ( the designer) or Tony will be along to give details. Enough to say thats its Ventile and has designed within it everything a bushcrafter could ask for.... And Within his budget too i think.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I would agree with the Buffalo school as I have 2 of their jackets. However, I would also like to suggest the Paramo range. Silent, ethically made, if you rip it you can sew it, if it lets in water you can reproof it. They also make excellent trousers and I have sat in bogs in the rain watching red deer with them and been both warm and dry. :p

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Bardster said:
Well I dont have all the details as its not my project - Hopefully Stuart ( the designer) or Tony will be along to give details. Enough to say thats its Ventile and has designed within it everything a bushcrafter could ask for.... And Within his budget too i think.
Looked good, didn't it, I nearly placed an order there and then, think I will wait for some more info and a review or two..........

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
So all in all, I think your answer is that you need to go into a few outdoors shops and have a look at what they have and see what you like.

;)

BCUK jacket sounds intriguing...

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
Another note on the softshell, a really good one is the Berghaus Baltoro it is £150. A rule of thumb is if it is made from schoeller material then it should be good to go. I must say thast they aren't very bushcrafty but are excellent for walking

Aug 11, 2006
Lancashire
Thank you for all your help. This is only the 2nd thread that I have started since signing up the other day but I'm quickly learning that there are a lot of helpful friendly people on this forum :You_Rock_

I think I will be looking along the lines of the Berghaus Baltoro or the Paramo Aspira. The latter is being sold at an outdoor shop near me (in Whalley) for £150, down from £250, so I may go and take a look.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Anthony Micallef said:
I think I will be looking along the lines of the Berghaus Baltoro or the Paramo Aspira. The latter is being sold at an outdoor shop near me (in Whalley) for £150, down from £250, so I may go and take a look.

Hi Anthony,

I have a bit of a Paramo obsession and started with an Aspira Jacket, but have switched to a Cascada as I think this is actually a much better walking jacket. It also comes in a nice dark forest green (darker than it appears on the website). The shell is wonderfully quiet and I've had no problems with the polycotton fabric and sparks from fires. You can also reproof and repair the jacket very easily yourself.

http://www.paramo.co.uk/UK/acatalog/MensCascadaJacket-16-40.html

Can't reccomend it enough!!!

Scoops

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Leggings.
Not the Flashdance ones: if you're hillwalking or climbing or generally outdoorsy for more than a couple of hours in the rain, you'll 'need' waterproof trousers. If you're a bit serious about it, you'll probably be looking at some salopette-type side-zipped breathable, etc. etc. ones.
This may skew your budget choices.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I've got a Paramo jacket as well, it's a tad warmer then a normal shell so I often don't use much under it but it has space to if needs be, very wind/rain proof and also has the best hood I've come across, I've got a more expensive one that I got in the sale which covers my needs but is a little short at times.

I have this
http://www.paramo.co.uk/UK/acatalog/AspiraJacket-16-139.html

the one designed for walking is longer but doesn't have all the vents. I think it flls in your budget (or can be found for that money
http://www.paramo.co.uk/UK/acatalog/MensCascadaJacket-16-40.html

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
Yep it's in the centre, but can be a little hard to find, it's on a street called King Street right a cross the road from farmfoods. Basically ask somebody in black burn where King Street is and they should direct you there. I will PM you directions but I am not very good with them.

S

Siecroz

Nathan Sturgess said:
Another note on the softshell, a really good one is the Berghaus Baltoro it is £150.

The Berghaus Softshell range are Great, I have the Berghaus Choktoi on now :D its like my very own windproof comfort blanket :22:

Trouble is it isn't Waterproof... resistant yes.. not proof tho

S

Siecroz

Oh my me!!

I've just noticed... Im wearing my Buffalo in my Avatar!! Snow joke! (I'll get my coat)

I'm a dumba55 :togo:

lol

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
Is the Choktoi the Gore Windstopper one because the Baltoro is a different material it is fleece on the inside but different on the outside. I tested mine's waterproofness today , I turned the tap on to the back of the jacket and it let nothing through it just beaded and poured off like it would on an XCR jacket.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
pinty said:
Hi Anthony
Just taking the following things into consideration:
- warm and dry
- does a bit of everything
- less than £150
- general outdoor winter jacket
I reckon your best bet would be a Barbour, or similar waxed jacket.

On the other hand if I had the £150 to spend on myself, I would get:
Buffalo Mountain Shirt £70
Windproof Smock £15
Cheap Fleece £20-30
MOD Police Goretex Jacket £15
German Army Poncho £12
Which I think would be pretty handy in a lot of different situations.

Cheers, P

I agree with what Pinty is saying above, I think £150 would kit you out with a pretty comprehensive and adaptable wardrobe (as long as you are perhaps willing to wear non-sexy brands and give up some bragging rights at the pub)

One thing which I would add to the discussion above is what should be worn next to the skin. Buffalo, for example, works best when worn next to the skin, although many people don't like this because it takes a bit of getting used to.

Whatever you wear as your base layer (next-to-skin layer) it needs to wick away the moisture from your skin so that your breathable layers can do their job and take the moisture away from your body and out of your clothes, so you feel dry.

I used to work in a gear shop, so I can rant on for ages, but the key thing to know is that non-wicking base layers, like cotton t-shirts, hang on to moisture and you'll feel wet and soggy in no time.

The upshot is: set aside some money for a wicking base layer, if you don't have one already

Ah, I feel better now

Rat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE