Really truly lousy timing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
So there we were yesterday, an enjoyable day spent paddling down Loch Long a bit and back up the other side...

LL_FEB_01.jpg

...nice wee spot for a break...

LL_FEB_02.jpg

...clowning around at the old torpedo station...

LL_FEB_03.jpg

...but we still had time to kill before picking up the group who were away up Beinn Ime so we headed up the burn - as you do, tide was right in.

LL_FEB_04.jpg

Coming back down, just about to go under the bridge when something ripples the water in front of us. Kid chucking in stones I thought, or maybe an angler baiting the area for later(thought that even though we're well out of season:rolleyes: ).

Was too late to stop anyway. As I came out from under the bridge was met by the sight of a dozen or so mourners scattering ashes into the river.
One glance at the tearful <presumably widow> was more then I could handle so I dropped my head, mumbled a quiet apology(which was met with a "Och, it's nae bother") and drifted by - wishing I had a hat to take off and watching the little eddies of recently departed swirl round the boat.

I mean, what are the odds?
Oh dear!
:eek:
Josh

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
poor stroke of luck mate. they'll probably laugh about it in afew years time!

Great pics though!

Dan

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Yes, I can see that being akward, even though you really have no need to be. Proves you're not a grumpy old man though, a Victor would have started moaning about littering and throwing incinerated body all over his canoe!

I don't believe it!

:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That really is just one of those moments of OOOPS! :11doh: :eek:

Incredibly awkward but I agree, absolutely nothing else you could have done, and they will laugh afterwards....close though right enough, you could have been coated with the recently departed :rolleyes:

Another warning to canoeists to be careful going under bridges :lmao: sorry, but I'm laughing....kind of puts you off a brew up with the wild water, doesn't it ?

atb,
mary

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Spamel I'm glad I'd swallowed my coffee before reading that - it would've ended up all over my keyboard :D
Josh nice pics and nice story. Uncomfortable maybe, but one that'll probably be laughed at (more) in future!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I shouldn`t laugh really but thanks for cheering me up after a bad day at work :lmao:

Beautiful part of the country you`ve got there by the way, I`m sooo jealous.

Rich

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Oh dear!
I once was at a similar ceremony on Loch Long. A bunch of us were out on our boats because the departed was really into that sort of thing. Unfortunately our skipper (my old man) parked the boat downwind and we got a noseful of Big Ian :eek:

Still, it made sure we remember him!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It could also have been worse, you could have stood up and said "Right, I'm the Ferryman that takes the dead into the next world. I hear I have a pick up here?"

:yikes:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I couldn't even bring myself to look back once I'd passed. Scott was right behind me but I was scared to meet his eyes.
As it was cheesy grins and rolled eyes were the order of the day( :eek: :rolleyes: ) but the uncontrollable giggle risk factor was too high to ignore.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
It could also have been worse, you could have stood up and said "Right, I'm the Ferryman that takes the dead into the next world. I hear I have a pick up here?"

:yikes:

And demanding palm be crossed with silver :D

Though do think having my ashes scattered from a open canoe in the middle of a lake sounds a better idea than thrown from the bank.

Blutack

Nov 21, 2007
Glasgowish
Oh dear Grooveski. It really could ONLY happen to you!

At least yours was unintentional. Someone once chartered a boat from the outdoor centre I worked at, to scatter Grandad's ashes out in the estuary (he had been a keen birdwatcher / wildfowler).

All went well with the service etc, until on the way back in, my ever thoughtful boss decided that since we were in deep water, it was high time the sewerage tank was emptied!!

Blutack.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Some years ago, when I was a member of a Mountain Rescue Team, we were asked to accompany a father and a Minister to the corrie on Lochnagar to scatter his sons ashes. We stood on the lip of the corrie, the Minister said a few words and the father took the lid off the ashes container. Just as he scattered the ashes there was an updraught of wind and 20 people were covered with the deceased. Fortunately it rained on the way down so the ashes were well and truly scattered. :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE