re work putty/hacking knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 20, 2013
liverpool
iv been looking for a new type of knife base to re work into something diffrent and came accross the hacking knife co cheap i thought yes got to give it ago saves me re working anouther breacher bar as they aint so cheap to take the files to

so has anyone else used the hacking knife to make a nice knife from

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
The first knife I ever made was made from my old hacking knife...wasn't all that pretty though. I'll see if I can find a picture. I have a blade here that was made from a second knife, but I have never even handled it, I really do need to get my finger out:D

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'd have to wonder what the original heat treatment on such a knife would have been

I've been modding old hickory butchers knifes which are a much better prospect, 1095 carbon steel, hickory handles very easy to work with

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Knife is a bit of a misnomer for these; they're actually made to be struck with a metal hammer and so have not been hardened very much so as to keep them from being brittle. they need to be sharpened often if you want them sharp as most on here would want them.

Quite a few years ago I handled one with a bit of beech and I've used it as a sort of froe-cum-battoner for cleaving small stuff and it works very well for this, but as a knife? not for me..................:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE