Rays Mears 1st show,World of Survival.Email the Beeb people!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have also jumped onto this worthwhile bandwagon, I suggested a release before christmas and the boost in sales could be used to reduce the TV Licence fee!! :)

Somehow, I don't think they'll go for the licence fee reduction though!! :rolleyes:

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Isn't there an issue with repeat fees? I seem to remember asking Ray about this a couple of years ago when I was on a course with him. He confused me with his answer - I don't think he's too interested in the politics behind it - but one of the nice ladies who helps out clarified that it was because Ray doesn't get a penny from when they repeat it or if it's sold in DVD/Video. As Ray/Woodlore want to get hold of the rights, they won't give the BBC permisision for the repeat or publication.

Might have the wrong end of the stick here though - can anyone clarify?

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Here is the very helpful response from the BBC:-

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding 'Ray Mears's World Of Survival'.

We are unaware of plans at present to release this programme on DVD. However, if you would like to make a suggestion, can I suggest you put it in writing to:

Commissioning Editor
BBC Worldwide Ltd
Woodlands
80 Wood Lane
London
W12 0TT

In the meantime, you may be interested to know that Ray has written a few books, including 'Ray Mears's World Of Survival', 'The Outdoor Survival Handbook' and 'Bushcraft Survival'. Although I cannot recommend any particular retailer, they are widely available from online shops.

You may also be interested to know that the first series of 'Ray Mears' Bushcraft' is available to buy on DVD from the BBC Shop:

http://www.bbcshop.com/invt/rm1001&bklist=<venda_bklist1>

You can also visit Ray's official website at the following address:

http://www.raymears.com/

Please note that the BBC takes no responsibility for the content of external websites.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact the BBC.

Regards

Paul Wheeler
BBC Information

So I suggest that we all write to the commissioning editor and suggest that the BBC produce this as soon as possible.......

Cheers

JFW

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Got my response from the beeb today as well. Pretty much the same except no mention of the books and they did say;

"We are unaware of plans at present to release these programmes on DVD. And due to copyright restrictions we are unable to release copies of programmes that are not commercially available. However, if you would like to make a suggestion you can contact BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC. You can put you request in writing to:

Commissioning Editor
BBC Worldwide Ltd
Woodlands
80 Wood Lane
London
W12 0TT
"

So that's what I'll do :D

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Have also dapped off a mail! ;)

Thought you all might like to know Extreme Survival is also on tomorrow (Friday)on UK Documentary at 22:00hrs

Enjoy! :D

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
An Update on the series on UKTV Documentary! - seems like tommorow (Sat 24th sept) is Ray Mears Day!!!

There is back to back episodes starting from 16:00 till sunday at 23:00 it looks :D

anyone got a tv card and dvd burner ;) .... oops did I say that out loud :eek:

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
JFW said:
Here is the very helpful response from the BBC:-

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding 'Ray Mears's World Of Survival'.

We are unaware of plans at present to release this programme on DVD. However, if you would like to make a suggestion, can I suggest you put it in writing to:

Commissioning Editor
BBC Worldwide Ltd
Woodlands
80 Wood Lane
London
W12 0TT

In the meantime, you may be interested to know that Ray has written a few books, including 'Ray Mears's World Of Survival', 'The Outdoor Survival Handbook' and 'Bushcraft Survival'. Although I cannot recommend any particular retailer, they are widely available from online shops.

You may also be interested to know that the first series of 'Ray Mears' Bushcraft' is available to buy on DVD from the BBC Shop:

http://www.bbcshop.com/invt/rm1001&bklist=<venda_bklist1>

You can also visit Ray's official website at the following address:

http://www.raymears.com/

Please note that the BBC takes no responsibility for the content of external websites.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact the BBC.

Regards

Paul Wheeler
BBC Information

So I suggest that we all write to the commissioning editor and suggest that the BBC produce this as soon as possible.......

Cheers

JFW

Similar but different

Dear Iain

Thank you for your e-mail 'Ray Mears's World Of Survival' and 'Ray Mears' Country Tracks'

We are unaware of plans at present to release these programmes on DVD. And due to copyright restrictions we are unable to release copies of programmes that are not commercially available. However, if you would like to make a suggestion you can contact BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC. You can put you request in writing to:

Commissioning Editor
BBC Worldwide Ltd
Woodlands
80 Wood Lane
London
W12 0TT

Furthermore, there is a Ray Mears World of Survival book available from Harper Collins and a 'Ray Mears: Bushcraft' DVD available from the BBC Shop:

http://www.bbcshop.com/

You may be interested to know that you can find more information on Ray Mears at the following website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/biographies/biogs/tvfactual/raymears.shtml

>hank you again Iain for taking the time to contact the BBC.

Regards

Gary Sullivan
BBC Information

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
world of survival was on last night, well, early morning 12.30-3am,on uk documentary i taped it all and shall be getting it burned to dvd for posterity!! lol
i see theres more ray on tonight till 11. id check to see whats on during the night.

regards
james

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
jamesoconnor said:
world of survival was on last night, well, early morning 12.30-3am,on uk documentary i taped it all and shall be getting it burned to dvd for posterity!! lol
i see theres more ray on tonight till 11. id check to see whats on during the night.

regards
james
Could i trouble you for a copy James?

Bushmaster

Forager
Oct 17, 2004
Scotland
Hi there sky chanell 564 or 565 and it has just started.It will be followed by extreme survival its a whole day of ray.!!!:)
Geoff

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Is it me or was the world of survival series shorter than the bbc version. I only ask because in the Siberisn episopde they didnt show the evenk knot, which still mistifyes me

D

Davros

All of the Ray Mears shows on sky seem to be cut. This is because many were originally shown without adverts or with shorter terrestrial television adverts.

Of course on satellite they need to fit in their 5 - 6 minutes worth of adverts every 10 minutes or so (well it seems like that much - enough to make a mug of tea and go to the loo easily)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE