Ray Mears' Wild Food (on television)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Episode One is on again very late tonight (and on a school night!) at 1.25
in the morning, so I'll certainly give that a swerve ;)

But if you haven't caught it yet, and don't mind someone waving their arms
about in the lower right hand corner (the programme is signed) then this
post's for you.

Sign Zone: Ray Mears' Wild Food
Episode One - Australia
BBC1 (note: not BBC2)
1.25am - 2.25am
VideoPlus: 3937475

There's another chance to see Episode Two (Coast)
next Tuesday night / very early Wednesday morning - 24 Jan
videoplus is 9518347, 2.25am - 3.25 BBC1 (not 2).

Episode Three - Wetland - is on tomorrow evening, BBC2, 8pm (8611 vidplus)
It's repeated on Sunday 21 at 7pm on BBC2 (7315)

And Episode Four - Summer Harvest will appear later that
same Wednesday evening, on BBC2 at 8pm (7163).

Tempted as I am to start a new thread I'll give that a swerve too :cool:
I can't imagine any visitors will fail to be aware that there's a new series!
Yes I am playing with colours again.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
watched episode 2 completely last night - was v entertaining and informative but is it just me or are the shots of the plants poor - I kinda get the feeling they are deliberatly not showing great views of them so as to keep them partially hidden ~ what i mean is that from the programme i'm not convinced i could identify them easily. I guess this may be due to the ssi status of where they were being harvested....

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, it's not a "how to" show - and probably just as well. Still, if you know what the plants are, you can find out how to ID them easily enough if you want.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Sun 21 Jan, BBC2, 7pm
VIDEO Plus+: 7315
Episode 3 - Wetland, repeated

Wed 24 Jan, BBC1, 2.25am (signed)
VIDEO Plus+: 9518347
Episode 2 - Coast, repeated

Wed 24 Jan, BBC2, 8pm
VIDEO Plus+: 7163
Episode 4 - Summer Harvest (new)

Mon 29 Jan, BBC2, 11.25pm
VIDEO Plus+: 552078
Episode title not given

Wed 31 Jan, BBC1, 3am (signed)
VIDEO Plus+: 34783
Episode 3 - Wetland, repeated

Wed 31 Jan, BBC2, 8pm
VIDEO Plus+: 4035
Episode 5 - Woodland (new)

Details of Episodes, from Radiotimes.com

2/5 - Coast
Ray Mears embarks on a voyage of discovery into the lost foods of Britain's
Stone Age. He tries out the processes they might have used, finds connections
with cultures around the world and tastes the foods of our forefathers, starting
with those resources found near the coast.

3/5 - Wetland
Stone Age, a journey that draws on all his bushcraft skills and knowledge of
ancient ways of life around the world. Wetlands were the highways of Stone Age
Britain and a habitat rich in wild foods. Ray processes water lily seeds, tries
spear fishing from a canoe and tastes plant matter from a pollen core thousands
of years old.

4/5 - Summer Harvest
Stone Age, a journey that draws on all his bushcraft skills and knowledge of
ancient ways of life around the world. Hunter gatherers rely on meat more than
any other food, and their lifestyle revolves around the hunt. Ray shows how
many meals a single deer can provide, finds seeds that can be made into
biscuits for trail snacks, and samples the flavours our ancestors may well have
added in their search for new tastes.

5/5 - Woodland
Ray Mears is on a voyage of discovery into the lost foods of Britain's Stone Age,
a journey that draws on all his bushcraft skills and knowledge of ancient ways of
life around the world. There's no place Ray likes better than woodland, and our
hunter gatherer ancestors would have been just the same: making fruit leathers
from hawthorn, feasting on wild boar and turning acorns and hazel nuts into
caloric staples. Ray visits the site in Scotland of one of the biggest finds of Stone
Age foods.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
He was using an unflighted spear with a huge fishing barb with a spearthrower in the ardeche. Something to try. My darts always end up flying backwards or stalling when I try that. Must be technique.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
The BARB audience viewiing figures have been released for the Week ending the 7th January. The first episode of Ray Mears Wild Foods pulled in 3.66 million viewers and this put it 10th in the Top Ten Factual programmes catagory, which ain't to shabby.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Zammo said:
The BARB audience viewiing figures have been released for the Week ending the 7th January. The first episode of Ray Mears Wild Foods pulled in 3.66 million viewers and this put it 10th in the Top Ten Factual programmes catagory, which ain't to shabby.
Wow... according to the BARB site, Ray Mears had 3.87 millon, (including timeshift data) for the 7th, making it the most watched TV programme on BBC2 for that week

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Thought the first episode was fairly pants, missed the second and the third was far better than the first so enjoyed it.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I watched the 3rd episode repeat tonight (sunday) (I was fishing during the week and missed it on wednesday)
I'm not being cynical here (well just a bit :rolleyes: ) Did Ray really catch those 2 fish with his spear? ..............Remember the flounder on the Thames in London, caught with hawthorn hooks and cordage, from the first episode of the Bushcraft series incident :rolleyes:
Throwing a spear to catch fish seems to me a very inefficient method of going about it. Ray said himself that he'd spent 6 hours trying, in a river that he'd also said was teaming with fish, and only caught 2. Not a very good return in my opinion. When Ray was throwing the spear it just looked like nowhere near enough power and the spear was just bouncing to the surface with bouyancy. A far easier method I'd imagine is to use the spear to pin the fish to the bottom of the river not letting the end of the spear go, but holding on to the end and reach down and pick it up if the water depth allows. (easily possible in some estuaries for flatties for example) or use a stabbing action from your canoe in deeper waters to pierce the fish, or still pinning to the bottom until the point(s) from the barbs enter the fish and it can be hauled up, but still not letting go of the spear end, just use a sharp stabbing action. I've never tried this but it just seems simpler and more effective to me.
In Scotland, Palnackie they do a Flounder tramping competition http://www.visitsouthernscotland.co...ail.asp?townid=&sectionid=0&attractionid=2816 so It would be perfectly possible to spear fish this way although of course it's illegal.
I'm not knocking the programme though, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I see what you're saying, bit it's not like spear fishing of the sort he was demonstrating isn't widely practiced. Perhaps he's just not very good at it.

Also, the water was very milky, which is a big problem for any fishing technique that invovles seeing the quarry. A real hunter-gatherer spear fisherman would probably have looked at that and thought "not today" - not having a production schedule to worry about.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
All other references I can find about spear fishing refer to it as hand held stabbing NOT throwing...Rays efforts may have got better results - and wrecked less gear - if he had tried this!
I have also come across archery fishing references, actually shooting an arrow from a bow with a line attached to a reel on the bowstave by the grop - has anyone tried this?
John

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
The murray river people in Australia were known to fish with a spear with an almost 4metre shaft. Less of a retrieval problem I should imagine and more likely used to stab at the fish like john says above. With a longer spear you could eliminate some of the accuracy issues at least.

Some stuff I've read from European accounts of aus aboriginal technology show four pronged (ironwood prongs) fishing spears, no barbs, much simpler and thinner and longer than those employed by Ray.

I thought Ray's looked more appropriate for something bigger, like salmon - than the little trout and chubb he was after.

When I was a lad I made one from coat hangers bound on the end of a slotted stick with monofilament and a piece of cork slightly larger than the shaft rammed between them to splay the prongs under tension rather than bend them into the splayed form.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE