ray mears' wellies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
They are Le Chameau Chasseur leather lined boots - this model. There is new version of this boot - see here. They cost about £190 in the UK, though I have heard you can get them considerably cheaper in France. Don't know if this is true. Having had 2 pairs of these - the first pair took many years of abuse and the second are halfway there - I can thoroughly recommend them. They seem prohibitively expensive, but since they last for ages and are extremely warm and comfortable even for quite long walks, I think they are reasonable value. They're certainly well made, I should think using proper lasts, unlike most. The UK distributor is GMK and I wouldn't be surprised if the one's that Ray wears are part of a marketing deal with them. Then again, they're so good, he'd probably splash out anyway. One of the best things is the differing calf sizes which means you can get a really good fit. Aren't I the wellie bore! :D

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
hiroo onoda said:
are wellington boots the new bushcraft staple? What make are rays?

I've used wellingtons for a long time, long before I saw ray, at least here there very common for bushy activities. For wet weather I think they have been used all over europe.

Don't know Rays brand, but any higher quality (expensive) models and makes are usually very good. Just get one with the adjusment strap on the side, or even better, a zipper. The hunting models usually have nice soles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE