Ray Mears The Survival Handbook? The Outdoor Survival HBK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Hi I have got "Raymond Mears" The Survival Handbook (1994 PRC press), and was wondering if "The Outdoor Survival Handbook is the same book under a different title and if it is a different book is it worth having?

Christopher

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
same book ,dived on on in library only to find i have it already :-D

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
nope, the survival handbook by raymond mears is a different one to the later simpler outdoor survival handbook. the second one is divided into seasons. the first is just about the most complete book on earth/wilderness skills you'll ever find.

i have a theory about the development of these books. as time's gone on ray has learnt more about what his students really need in the way of information. so as time goes on his books seem to cover less subjects, but cover each subject in greater detail. so bushcraft is the ideal beginner's book, the outdoor survival book is the intermediate version with all the project ideas for you to try throughout the year, and the survival handbook is the one with all the advanced braintanning or pottery skills and such.

cheers, and.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
sargey said:
nope, the survival handbook by raymond mears is a different one to the later simpler outdoor survival handbook. the second one is divided into seasons. the first is just about the most complete book on earth/wilderness skills you'll ever find.

the outdoor survival book is the intermediate version with all the project ideas for you to try throughout the year.

So since I am a beginner (been a bit of an armchair bushman for years but doing more now) do you think outdoor survival is worth getting for the project ideas? Even though I have the first and "essential bushcraft"?

Christopher

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
yeah get it, though i have to say that i`ve seen both and they were both split into seasons, ray isnt on the cover of the first right ? but anyway dont really matter just trying to clarify my own head :-D , the projects are cool , made a clay oven at work the other day and baked a loaf of bread in it and i certainly wouldnt call myself a bushman, cheers al

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
al said:
yeah get it, though i have to say that i`ve seen both and they were both split into seasons, ray isnt on the cover of the first right ?

The cover

cover.jpg

The only picture of Ray is a picture of a very young look Ray with a fire drill and a dodgy hair cut ;-)

ray.jpg

the ISBN is 1-85648-180-8

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
So since I am a beginner (been a bit of an armchair bushman for years but doing more now) do you think outdoor survival is worth getting for the project ideas? Even though I have the first and "essential bushcraft"?

it is difficult to say, if you already have those two then outdoor survival might be a bit redundant. in many ways it's my favourite of the three.

but i've just been off to get both outdoor survival and essential bushcraft from the shelf in the other room and i'm flicking through them. so here's a mini review...

outdoor survival is largely divided up into the four seasons. there are no photos, only clear, excellent line drawings, each season has varying degrees of repeat chapters: animal kingdoms, shelters, fire, water, specific skills and the persuit of food. each chapter covers specific details to suit that season, no mention of snow shelters in the summer for example.

page 124 in summers chapter on the persuit of food explains how to fillet and panace a fish, autumns chapter shows how to skin a small mammal. i couldn't find any reference to these sorts of skills in essential bushcraft.

esssential bushcraft has loads of superb photos, techniques are explained in great detail. as an example there are eight pages on how to select, care for, and safely use your knife, including some very clever woodworking and carving techniques. the only other book i know of that comes near in this regard is mors kochanski's northern bushcraft. though most of the skills are explained very well, some are only discussed. in this respect the book lives up to it's subtitle/description of "a handbook of survival skills from around the world" the chapter on hitting the trail covers many travelling and (what squaddies would call) personal admin techniques. it lacks information on navigation basics like using a map and compass, which is covered in outdoor survival.

all in all they're both excellent books. they both do what they do very well. i'll stand by my earlier assertion that bushcraft is the better book for the novice and that outdoor survival is better for someone who has maybe a little more knowledge, but wants a few ideas on what skills to learn next. outdoor survival doesn't have any really advanced secret ninja/apache stuff, it's all pretty straight forward. for me it's strength and charm comes from it's potential for inspiration to get out and try something that will work about now. bark based cordage in spring, nettle based cordage in autumn.

so now i've compared the two, i'd say yes get it, even if you have the more advanced fist book. it's the better book to go in your ruck (for the uk at least)

i haven't gone into detail about survival handbook as it's out of print, and won't be reprinted according to the folks at woodlore. though you can find the odd copy on ebay.

hope this helps.

cheers, and.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
well thats a different one to the one i saw , must have been a earlier print of the" raymond mears" one, but the same as the outdoor survival one.so the old one is out of print now?,bummer,sounds good,cheers al

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I agree with sargey - the green covered survival handbook (his first) is the best without a shadow of a doubt.

However I think his later books dont go as deep not because of some wild guru thing where he is all knowing - its more a case of those skills being more popular and not neccessarily what the students want. The season idea was good mind you.

And for those who have never attended any of his course his last book is skill for skill exactly what we teach on the fundamental course with a few bits of the journeyman added for good measure. Of course all the stuff from his tv shows arent included either.

If your a rank beginner check out Mors Kochanski's book too - a lot of good info and some important safety tips too.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Just as an after thought (and not wishing to upset anyone - as I know critising the great man does) BUT I also feel his later books are a little stale - after all there is only so many ways you can desribe bow drilling and neither of them really contain anything new either.

Sorry if that offended anyone - I wasnt blasfeming honestly!

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
right then , now i know where i got confused!!!! what i saw was the "complete outdoor handbook" by raymond mears isbn 0-7126-4859-3 which was the first of the outdoor survival books,same layout exept for the useful addresses which out of interest i`ll chuck up, clothing and rucksac-berghaus,folding saws-Burton Mcall-leicster, Flysheets- Clothtec,,Camping equipment-Coleman uk, Finnish knife-Lisaakki Jarvenpaa Oy 62210 kauhava finland,sleeping bags Rab,Ventile jackets-Snowsled ltd,street farm workshop,doughton,tetbury,gloucestershire, Outdoor eqpmt-Survival aids,Tent-Wild country and the Woodlore address-1 beechcroft avenue,kenly , surry. yeah i know, i`ll get me smock :oops:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
K repeat after me..."never bring credit card with when going on net".....

Just ordered essential bushcraft and outdoor survival.... :lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE