Ray Mears' Next Series?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Jack also did a series of programmes called the old country which was the same format as out of town and also a programme in 78 called if i remember rightly called Country Boy where he took a very young Simon King into the countryside and showed him aspects of nature. Simon King's father was a cameraman/producer at that time working with Jack.
Jacks books are still available, some years back a video of out of town programmes was released. I have a copy but wished I could get copies of other programmes.
His first TV programme was called a six parter called Gone fishing.
Then Out of Town ran till 1981 and was then revived by C4 as The Old Country.And of course he also was a presenter on How?.
Like Gary he was a major influence on myself.
Jack died from cancer in March 1994

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Thats a sad fact that he died.

Anyone know the titles of his books? Or have then?

They should re-run all those old programmes - we have enough channels these day!

Lets start the Bring Back Jack campaign!

All you young whipper-snappers dont know what you missed that was proper TV!

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I agree with Gary.

These old programmes could be re run if the tapes are still available - and should also be released on DVD.

Maybe we should petition the TV companies to release them on DVD - Jacks programmes as well as Ray's Tracks.

JFW

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I take Bear's point about the TV being about audience figures and that the BBC is not a charity. However, I would also say that the BBC is a public service which we all (should) pay for. In their charter, it states that they can't spend all of their time chasing ratings (otherwise it'll end up like ITV). I still firmly believe that the BBC is the best television company in the world and, when you look at programmes like 'Life on Earth', doesn't it give you a warm feeling that not all television is total garbage? Big Brother, anyone?

Mind you, if we've already had 3 series of Ray Mears, plus 'Country Tracks', does that show that there's someone out there rooting for us? And what about 'Heroes of Telemark'? That was a 'minority' programme, if ever there was one. In my opinion, anyway....

Perhaps we need to give the BBC some gentle encouragement by lauding their efforts when the next RM series comes out? We could write/email/phone and say how much we enjoyed the programme - all of these favourable comments would have to be logged.

What do you reckon?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Of course your right Mike - the BBC has its charter and is still one of the best entertainment/information services in the world.

However as pointed out by Jack and others the RM series arent pertinant to the UK.

They are entertaining - yes and they are vaguely linked to bushcraft (some more than others) but that is all. As with the Hero's of Telemark (which had little to do with Bushcraft - and if anything more to do with military Survival) they arent going to teach you the best woods for feather sticks or how to I.D native fungi.

The short segments he had on tracks did this and were bloody brilliant. It is my belief that these made not only the series but inspired many of us to go out and explore the woods further.

But whether we are wrong or right doesnt matter to the BEEB they will do what they will do.

At the end of the day I, like most people on here, hope that the series is more 'Tracks' like and less World of survival.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Jack Hargreaves - I NEVER got to see him on the telly. Gutted. :cry:
I only discovered him recently, got a copy of The Old Country on audio tape out of the library. Fantastic - since then i have got 2 books -the old country and out of town. And a copy of out of town on Video. Got all of them from Coch Y Bondu books in Machynlleth (top bookshop)
Gary - you are welcome to borrow em, i can bring em to the Thames Valley meetup if you like.
I also heard (was it here ?) That the original recordings were accidentaly binned by the production company. So if anyone has them on video them and I would love a copy.
Cheers
Rich

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Rich, you Sir, are a star!

And not only for the beer on the tracking course BTW!

I will try to get myself them via some book searchs mate but if I cant I would greatly appreiciate the loan.

Many thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE