Ray mears Jungle Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
Hi,
Does anyone know what sort of heavy cotton jungle smock R/M wears when he is in the jungle with Ewan Mc Gregor on one of his programs.

Its a Khaki colour!!

thanks!!!!

:)

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Can't remember it exactly but if I recall correctly it's a Snowsled smock...but i'll stand corrected!

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
It's a copy of the ww2 windproof smock. I think it was made out of ventile for him and a handful of his instructors at the time. Fantastic design, I still use an original smock of this type.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
If memory serves me right I think a mate of his made it as a one off, if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Indeed, it was made for him by a mate, it was a one off, I know because I'm a sad kit junkie and I asked him. The Bison ventile jacket was quite similar, although I think that has been discontinued now.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Indeed, it was made for him by a mate, it was a one off, I know because I'm a sad kit junkie and I asked him. The Bison ventile jacket was quite similar, although I think that has been discontinued now.
I got the last Bison Smock made - the new machineist hates working with Ventile (it can be a swine to work with!) so the Smock was dropped!
Mine has not been worn yet - I am still wearing the original one I bought (well worn and often repaired) plus my Ventilesque smock that I designed and made myself.
The Bison was an investment when Ventile prices started to rise :)
Great design (1960s SAS basically) and very functional and practical!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have one of these, & i did as Andy says, & fitted a short neck zip. They are a bit on the sort side, but make a good spring, summer, autumn top.

Rob

If anyone is interested, you can view the smock in back posts(i don't know how to retieve them) dated 7/10/11.

Rob

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have an original ww11 smock as well .I would sell if anyone is interestedand it would be a lot cheaper than Silvermans.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE