Ray Mears' First Book on e-bay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
That will end up probably going for near £40, most of the ones that have come up before go for that type of price. Having said that imo it's the best and most comprehensive book he has written. Only last year or so you could pick it up from secondhand dealers for a tenner, I think you will get a better price going through a dealer now but we all know that some people on e-bay will pay well over the market price.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
steve a said:
That will end up probably going for near £40, most of the ones that have come up before go for that type of price. Having said that imo it's the best and most comprehensive book he has written. Only last year or so you could pick it up from secondhand dealers for a tenner, I think you will get a better price going through a dealer now but we all know that some people on e-bay will pay well over the market price.
It's a good book, but I honestly don't think it's £40 good. I have one from years ago.

A more reasonably priced book is Kochanski's Bushcraft http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1551051222/buschraftuk0f-21 which covers a lot of what is in that book (and variations on themes like bow drill which is nice).

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Agreed, I think I paid about £10-£14 for my copy, obtained through abebooks, a great source for tracking down second hand or out of print books. As well as Kochanski's book I would also reccomend trying to get a copy of Richard Graves Bushcraft, these last two are my favourited dispite the dodgy artwork.

J

Jamie

Theres also the Richard Graves book we were talking about in another thread. I managed to get a 2nd hand one for about £15.00. Great book at a superb price

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Although I don't actually want to sell any, I'm starting to get the feeling that my collection of Bushcraft books (original Ray Mears bought years ago, Grave's Bushcraft book, Les Hiddens books, signed Ray Mears books, etc) is worth quite a bit. Who is paying 40 quid for Ray's first?

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Mikey P - A copy of the first RM book went for over £60 on eBay earlier this year!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Adi007 said:
Mikey P - A copy of the first RM book went for over £60 on eBay earlier this year!

No way! That's outrageous! It's just a book, for God's sake.

Still not selling mine, though - I think the ability to refer back to it when I need to and gain knowledge is priceless.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
It is crazy ... but it went for £60 ... or perhaps £58.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Well its the best book he has written..... it is out of print.... and there are no plans for a re-print.... it will command a high price.... thats the way the market works.

Ed

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
Is this the same guy on TV over here? I have seen him on Sky, is that book any good?

I have read books by a fellow Canadian M Kochanski and these seemed ok not by a Brit. Does it cover all the basics ect? I guess what I am trying to say is it worth searching for one?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Zac, while I think £40 might be a little much the books is very good, in fact it is (in my humble opinion) one of his best.

Mors Kochanski books are good too and so are Richard Graves books if you can find them.

Do you read many bushcraft manuals? Can you recommend any from Canada I might not know?

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
Sorry I am new to bushcraft Gary - I read Kochanski back in Gravenhurst as it was one of my grandfathers books that he keep out in his cabin in the sugar bush.

It may be a little boring to you guys but I am in the legal profession and as such I usually spend most of my time reading law. In my case corporate law although I will now most definitely seek out some lighter reading regarding bushcraft.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

How much worth is the old survival book if you compare it to the new?? :roll:
I still don't see why the old is so much better than any other book by him??... :?:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE