Ray Mears books...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hey

I could need a little help on this one! ;)
Which one of these books should a buy?

'Essential Bushcraft' or 'Survival Handbook'???
I have some survival books allready, and want to know more about living in the outdoors....?!

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Both! If you look through Sargey's posts on this forum you'll see some thoughts about the usefullness of and audience for each book. I've got them all..... as I suspect do many of us

Here's the list:

The Survival Handbook, by Raymond Mears, First book, hard to find and expensive these days, usually going for anything between £25 and £50 on eBay UK. Well worth getting. Apparently has not and will not be re-published

The Outdoor Survival Handook, by Raymond Mears, published in UK and US version but no great difference between them other than one page about maps, get whichever is cheapest. This has been re-published recently, was originally published as The Complete Outdoor Handbook

Bushcraft, by Ray Mears. Big coffee table book format. Again loads of useful info but not rucksack friendly

Essential Bushcraft, by Ray Mears. Pretty much the paperback version of the big book but revised to include more pictures of the gear his own company is selling....

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi

Just wanted to say that I just bought 'Essential Bushcraft' now... I will arrive at my door in 1-2 weeks, but in the meantime: could someone of you who allready owns it, type in here what the table of contents are??? Just as a little taste.....?? (Mostly because i'm DYING to open the first page!) :-D :cool: ;) ;) :biggthump

Hogan

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2004
Scotland
TheViking said:
Hi

Just wanted to say that I just bought 'Essential Bushcraft' now... I will arrive at my door in 1-2 weeks, but in the meantime: could someone of you who allready owns it, type in here what the table of contents are??? Just as a little taste.....?? (Mostly because i'm DYING to open the first page!) :-D :cool: ;) ;) :biggthump

Title...........................Page
Preface.........................6
Introduction...................9
Outfit..........................11
Cutting Tools................25
Water..........................55
Fire.............................77
Shelter.......................103
Cordage......................141
Hitting the Trail............171
Living from the land.......185
Acknowlegements.........233
Index.........................234

Hope this helps....

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I have to know one more thing about it! ;)
What are the dimensions??? Pretty important if it is rucksack friendly... :uu:

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Hm.... just saw this on Amazon:

Bushcraft Survival ~Ray Mears
Hodder & Stoughton General
Hardcover - September 13, 2004
Books: See all 16 results
Our Price: £20.00 Not yet published

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Womble said:
Hm.... just saw this on Amazon:

Bushcraft Survival ~Ray Mears
Hodder & Stoughton General
Hardcover - September 13, 2004
Books: See all 16 results
Our Price: £20.00 Not yet published

To go with his new TV series in the autumn perhaps? I wonder if you can preorder from Amazon yet? The new series is out in Sept. I bet that is what it is.

Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE