Ran out of diesel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lord lurcher

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
norwich, norfolk
hello there, i know this is not really the place for this but can anyone help? I ran out of diesel in my vaux astra y'day, does anyone know how to bleed the fuel system? help!!!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
It should self bleed, if not the easiest way is to crack (loosen) an injector and there is(IIRC) a little black pump near the filter that you push down a few times and it should leak a little fuel from the loosened injector, tighten it and it should work.
Try just priming it with the pump till it goes stiff before you crack the injector then turn it over first though.
I am 99% sure it should self bleed it can take a few minutes.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Goose said:
It should self bleed, if not the easiest way is to crack (loosen) an injector and there is(IIRC) a little black pump near the filter that you push down a few times and it should leak a little fuel from the loosened injector, tighten it and it should work.
Try just priming it with the pump till it goes stiff before you crack the injector then turn it over first though.
I am 99% sure it should self bleed it can take a few minutes.

Goose is right, it should self bleed :rolleyes:

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
I read somewhere that very late Astra diesels have to be primed by a main dealer using a special external pump to avoid damaging the fuel system by turning the engine over without diesel to act as a lubricant. This might just be a myth designed to enhance main dealer profits though.... :confused:

In practice, I've hardly ever needed to bleed a diesel system. If the battery's strong diesel should get pumped through to the injectors before it runs out of amps. If the battery's weak try rolling the car in gear to get the pump turning - just like bump starting but in a higher gear so the car rolls easily. The car will bleed quicker if there's a full tank of diesel, not just a gallon from a can covering the bottom two inches of the tank. Some people recommend squirting easy start spray, or other flammable liquids into the air intake to encourage the engine to run for long enough to get the diesel flowing again. This technique's very effective, but fuelling a diesel engine on a much more volatile fuel is said to cause damage to the valves and pistons. Again, I'm not sure how valid this warning is. :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE