rabbit stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mattw4466

Oct 13, 2006
needham,ma, usa
Has anyone ever used a rabbit stick succesfully, it seems as though it would be very hard . I don't k now how many of u are from the US but there is a show called man vs. wild which is a survival show like survivor man and he got one from about thirty feet and it got me really interested in this hunting method. Thanks.

Jacknife

Forager
Aug 27, 2005
Somerset
I think in the old days people used these throwing sticks while hunting in small groups of perhaps three or four hunters, all throwing at one target, to increase the chance of a hit.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I've used one on a grouse... but you can get those suckers with anything.

Shave the top of the sitck (lengthwise) until it's flat, gives it a bit of an aerofoil effect. Sends the stick further with more force.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
i remember seeing article about sticks with weight at one end used for squirrels in trees ,the weighted end helped the stick from getting caught in branches.it was either in local rag or countrymans weekly.but same thing groups of 3-5 boys all aiming for same squirrel.

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
Torjus,

lets say there is an erm,hypothetical situation where you would be forced to use a throwing stick.

what would be things you would look for in a potential throwingstick and what would the hypothetical difficulties be?

and of course we all know you didnt do nor wil ever do such a dastardly deed of course ;)

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'm a bit dumb about this one. Could someone please post a pic of a rabbit Stick so I know what they look like? Cheers :)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Porcupine said:
Torjus,

lets say there is an erm,hypothetical situation where you would be forced to use a throwing stick.

what would be things you would look for in a potential throwingstick and what would the hypothetical difficulties be?

and of course we all know you didnt do nor wil ever do such a dastardly deed of course ;)

Sideways throws are good for landbound creatures. Overhand throws are good for flying birds. This is to reduce the need for accuracy like you would need with a sling or a stone.

Pros:
- "Area damage"
- Easy to make
- Easy to use

Cons:
- Limited range
- It is easily stopped by vegetation ( usually not good in forests)

The throwing stick should be of some length, but the longer it is, the better is the possibility of it stopping in vegetation. Hardwood is better than softwoods, because of it's weight. I use only round and straight ones, but as written by someone else here you can increase their range by flattening them (boomerangs).

Mine are shown on this photo (about 50cm long of rowan)
throwingstick.JPG

Should be the answer of your question too Fred.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Many thanks for the pics. Now I know what you are talking about and it seems to me they could be quite effective. I seem to remember seeing a short thing on TV about a guy using this sort of thing to control grey squirrels. :rolleyes:

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Trouble is, does anyone find that when you'v got nothing in your hands, rabbits dont seem to skid off as quickly and as far away as when you'v got somthing in your hands? Iv found that a couple of times before.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Im thinkin throwin a rabbit stick and actually hitting and killing something would take some practice, especially for me. Considering Im so tall and have such long arms, I cant throw for peanuts. I cant resist something so simple though.

drat

Jul 9, 2006
Indaina,USA
use a dead limb w/ a curve in it. about 2.5 " thick and 2' long .then shave the frount down to maybe .5 ".then shave down themiddle till flat.then shave the back end down to about.5". it should look like a boomarang. <=> a side look.you would be better throwing in a group.i've made them but never used it.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
When I was a youngster, me and a couple of mates would cut ourselves some 3 foot sticks and follow the combine harvester with the blessing of the local farmer. When a rabbit dropped out of the back of the combine we'd give him a crack. If he managed to scoot then you'd do an underarm throw (kind of like skimming a stone on water) to bring him down. I never got more than 2 or 3 on a days outting but I'd get 50p a coney. Nice bit of cash in those days for a lad.

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
funny thing is i was watching the "a cook on the wild side" dvd yesterday and saw an alternative version used for squirrel hunting.

basicly a piece of wood with a steel ball at one end (sadly i have forgotten what they called it) the idea was that several ppl walked through the wood and on seeing a squirrel all throw it.

guess ill have to try and find some sticks and some mock targets soon,good thing i dont have to rely on my skill for food yet :lmao:

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Porcupine said:
funny thing is i was watching the "a cook on the wild side" dvd yesterday and saw an alternative version used for squirrel hunting.

basicly a piece of wood with a steel ball at one end (sadly i have forgotten what they called it) the idea was that several ppl walked through the wood and on seeing a squirrel all throw it.

guess ill have to try and find some sticks and some mock targets soon,good thing i dont have to rely on my skill for food yet :lmao:
This is where I saw them used. I was wondering what the relative merits of the Rabbit stick versus the catapult would be? Anyone know? :confused:

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
1) You can make a rabbit stick so much easier than a catapult/slingshot, with natural materials.

2)Catapult is a bit more accurate

3) The power of a shot made with a Rabbit Stick can be controlled much eaiser.

locust_jrm

Jan 31, 2007
Durham, North east England
I got a mouse with one, although i was aiming for a different target. when you get used to them the are acctually quite effective, the secrect is to not use all your power as the force can divert it slightly.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
I have no idea if this works however a mate of mine was telling me how to use a stick to get a rabbit.

His method as I understood it involved a longer stick. He walked straight towards the rabbit and when it froze he would walk at a diagonal as if to avoid it. Apparently the rabbits just stay starled (He said it was the same as how they react to an on comming car at night). As he came along side the rabbit he would swing the stick and hit it from the side.

It sounded unusal to be but he is not the kind of guy that would make something like this up.

I just wonder if anyone else has heard of it

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I find the side handed throw is better. The best way to practice is to take a 2ltr pop bottle, put about three inches of water in it for balast and stand it up in the middle of the local park/field/wasteground. Practice throwing the stick at the bottle from different distances until you can knock the base of the bottle over. That's how tennis pro's can whack a ball consistantly into the corner of the court just within the line. They place a pop bottle on the corner of the line and practice hour after hour until they can hit the base of the pop bottle. Works the same for rabbit sticks and slingshots. The only way you get accurate is by practicing over and over again.

Eric

Jan 24, 2007
Cornwall, UK
Very interesting thread this one guys. Dripping with rabbits where i live. One question - I know none of you guys would do it if it wernt but.. Is it legal in the UK?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE