Rabbit disease.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hawkeye The Noo

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Dunoon, Argyll
I have typed here a copy of a letter written into my local newspaper:
" The Dunoon Observer."
What’s killing Roger Rabbit?

Editor- About this very worrying Bird Flu problem- are the public aware that a similar disease has killed all the rabbits here at Ardentinny, plus other areas here in Cowal?

It is not the dreaded myxomatosis but a disease causing bleeding internally, killing all the rabbits. Several rabbits were found dead in good order outside. In all my 60 years here in Cowal I’ve never seen anything like it and I hope it’s not a man made spread terrible disease.

I am sorry to say that there will be no lovely Easter Bugs Bunnies for the children etc to see here in this National Forest area.

I do hope that some other areas are not affectedso far. It is very worrying.

Yours sincerely Mr Share retired Forest Ranger.

:confused:
When you see this guys experience it is not a concern to take lightly. Are any of you experiencing similar problems within your local rabbit population?

Jamie

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
No reports as yet, but i will definately look out for it, we do suffer from myxi, but we're on a good phase at the moment, it cycles every 2-3 years in our park.

Cheers

mark

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Haven't seen anything myself but will keep an eye out for any dead bunnies in my area.
Will report back in a couple of days.

Cheers

JFW

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Hawkeye The Noo said:
I have typed here a copy of a letter written into my local newspaper:
" The Dunoon Observer."
What’s killing Roger Rabbit?

Editor- About this very worrying Bird Flu problem- are the public aware that a similar disease has killed all the rabbits here at Ardentinny, plus other areas here in Cowal?

It is not the dreaded myxomatosis but a disease causing bleeding internally, killing all the rabbits. Several rabbits were found dead in good order outside. In all my 60 years here in Cowal I’ve never seen anything like it and I hope it’s not a man made spread terrible disease.

I am sorry to say that there will be no lovely Easter Bugs Bunnies for the children etc to see here in this National Forest area.

I do hope that some other areas are not affectedso far. It is very worrying.

Yours sincerely Mr Share retired Forest Ranger.

:confused:
When you see this guys experience it is not a concern to take lightly. Are any of you experiencing similar problems within your local rabbit population?

Jamie
its viral haemorrhagic disease ,rabbit goes in to convulsions and bleeds inside .as you said.its been in this country since the 90,s

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Numbers have declined in my part of Sevenoaks, Kent, by some 90% over the last 5 years. Such is not as a result of over-effective 'management', as in culling, as I would most certainly be aware of this. Neither though can I say for sure that it is due to anything other than mixiimatosis as I've yet to find a dead rabbit with the internal symptom described. I still though feel this decline must be due to something other than the instantly recognisable malady we are all so familiar with and, justifiably in my opinion, view with such distain.
:cussing:

Cheers

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Viral haemorrhagic disease in rabbits was,IIRC,developed in Australia with the sole purpose of eradicating rabbits.

Some farmers have no doubt managed to introduce it into our ecosystem. :(

Whilst being a nuisance to farmers in the UK,bunnies are nothing like the plague proportion problem that they are in Oz.So I can see no justification at all for introducing the disease here.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
I know that some Reserve Wardens have seen this and its not pleasant. So far at Merthyr Mawr we are lucky and don't seem to have VHD (so far). We are however only just recovering from a nasty outbreak of mixy.

BorderReiver said:
Viral haemorrhagic disease in rabbits was,IIRC,developed in Australia with the sole purpose of eradicating rabbits.

Some farmers have no doubt managed to introduce it into our ecosystem. :(

Whilst being a nuisance to farmers in the UK,bunnies are nothing like the plague proportion problem that they are in Oz.So I can see no justification at all for introducing the disease here.

In certain "ecological" or "green" circles, there is a call for eradicating all exotic introduced species. (anti-migrant feelings are not limited to humans, it seems)The rabbit is an introduced species everywhere North of the Pyrenee mountains. Maybe that's a reason why they want to kill all the coneys?

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Ketchup said:
In certain "ecological" or "green" circles, there is a call for eradicating all exotic introduced species. (anti-migrant feelings are not limited to humans, it seems)The rabbit is an introduced species everywhere North of the Pyrenee mountains. Maybe that's a reason why they want to kill all the coneys?

Possibly,but where do you draw the line?Every species was "introduced" at some time in the past. :rolleyes:

I think it is more to do with supposed financial losses.Which in this time of set aside seems a bit odd to me. :confused:

Sep 30, 2005
Maybe, considering reports in media regarding an outbreak in Wales (the place, not the mammal) it could be Anthrax.
Nice Stuff!

Gosh, it takes something like this to get me posting replies to a wicked website! I've been a member too long without participating!

TTFN
Keith

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Keefy said:
Maybe, considering reports in media regarding an outbreak in Wales (the place, not the mammal) it could be Anthrax.
Nice Stuff!

Gosh, it takes something like this to get me posting replies to a wicked website! I've been a member too long without participating!

TTFN
Keith

It is anthrax.Possibly left over from the last infection.Anthrax forms spores which are extremely hardy little sods and can cause further infections scores of years after the first lot.

This is possibly the least wicked website on the whole internet. :p :D

Join in more and enjoy the company. :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE