Questions about fishing line and reels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I started looking at getting a fishing rod last summer, and then SWMBO got me a bit of kit at christmas :D

I'll mostly be fishing at a pond, about 15 metres across, that belongs to a friend of mine, down in South West France. The banks are quite overgrown, lots of overhanging trees. So I wanted a short rod, preferably telescopic so I can carry it through the thick woodland, and get set up quickly.

So, SWMBO got me a kid's telescopic rod, a Shimano Alivio 2500 FA reel, a bobbin of line, three spinners and a rather neat folding knife :D :D The whole lot weighs very little, and packs away into a very small package.

Well, I'll be taking this with me to Brittany next week, in the hope of doing a little spot of sea fishing, too.

Now, what would be a good knot to use, to tie the line to the reel "drum" (or whatever it's called), before winding it on?

Can I get extra "drums", to keep different thicknesses of line ready for use?

Keith.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I just used to tie any slip knot and draw it tight. I dont think the knot is all that important as long as it is not too bulky, you should keep enough line on the reel as this holds the line to the reel. Also the fuller the reel the smoother the cast, if your line doesn't fill the reel put some padding on first.(string,gaffa tape or similar) Hope this helps.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Keith_Beef said:
Now, what would be a good knot to use, to tie the line to the reel "drum" (or whatever it's called), before winding it on?

Can I get extra "drums", to keep different thicknesses of line ready for use?

Keith.

Try : http://www.graysofkilsyth.com/fishing.htm

Flyfishing knots, reel knot should be fine for Fixed spool reels too.

Spare spools for the reel may be available from the reel manufacturers - this can vary from product to product - and are likely to be easily swapped.

HTH,

Jim.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Hi

Getting spare spools should not be a problem, and the advice about filling the spool up to just below the lip is important for a smooth cast.

As long as the line is tie tight to the spool (a little bit of masking tape or insulating tape on the reel is also a good idea to stop the line slipping.

Try and get the line under a bit of tension as you wind it on. I using a towel and sending the line underneath works well. Get a volunteer to hold the new line "bobbin", wind in and try and keep the towel off the floor. You will see what I mean when you start.

Dont know if you have done this before, but make sure the line runs through the bail arm of the reel - or it wont wind the line in.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
To tie the line to an empty reel spool any old knot will do but a timber hitch is a good one.
The easiest way to fill a reel with line is to first put the reel on the rod and pass the line through the butt ring then tie it to the reel.
You will need to put your bobbin of line in a bucket of water then all you do is wind away. Let the line run between your thumb and index finger so you can keep it under tension.
The water will keep the line lubricated and stop the bobbin running away but don't just stop winding slow down gradually.
This way you can do it without any help.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
martin said:
To tie the line to an empty reel spool any old knot will do but a timber hitch is a good one.
The easiest way to fill a reel with line is to first put the reel on the rod and pass the line trough the butt ring then tie it to the reel.
You will need to put your bobbin of line in a bucket of water then all you do is wind away. Let the line run between your thumb and index finger so you can keep it under tension.
The water will keep the line lubricated and stop the bobbin running away but don't just stop winding slow down gradually.
This way you can do it without any help.

I'll come clean and admit that I put the line on the reel on Christmas Day, using a timber hitch, with the reel on the rod, almost exactly as you described. But I had my wife holding the bobbin, with a pencil through it for an axle, and running it through my fingers to keep the tension.

When I get a new spool for the thicker line, I'll try the SSAK (Swedish Spool Axle Knot).

Keith.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
The easiest way to get line off a reel when you want to put fresh on. An 8 inch length of old brush shaft with a nail knocked half way in to one end. Clamp the protruding half in the chuck of an electric drill. Tie the line to shaft open the bail arm and get whizzing. Don't go too fast though.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Abu Garcia produce a little catalogue that you should be able to pick up FOC in any fishing tackle shop or from the Abu website.
It's not just a product catalogue ,there is usually a few pages of useful knots ,advice and fishing stories not to mention the lovely Abu reels to drool over.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE