Putting the science into "firecraft" part 1 (picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 4605

Excellent thread BR. Well done, and thanks for listening to me and posting it.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
:lmao: Great post Red. My Sea Cadets are using your post as a research doc in preparation for their D of E expedition in Feb. and March. There project is on different firemaking techniques and this post is an excellent guide.

They loved the Prawn cracker.

George

Well done mate :You_Rock_ This is a really good read.

One tip from me........

Don't discard the spore tube section of false tinder fungus.

Cut it into thin sections, scrape the surface as you would Birch Bark and then spark onto it. It burns very well and quite slowly.

P1020206.jpg
[/IMG]

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Good tip! Particularly since I have some shredded tinder fungus that I decimated whilst searching in vain for the amadou layer...

Great article Red, that must have taken you a while!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Seoras said:
:lmao: Great post Red. My Sea Cadets are using your post as a research doc in preparation for their D of E expedition in Feb. and March. There project is on different firemaking techniques and this post is an excellent guide.

They loved the Prawn cracker.

George
I must admit I threw the prawn cracker in for fun but also to illustrate that a little lateral thinking and experimentation is in order. I was bored one night and had heard that some corn snacks burned.

I'm delighted you sea cadets enjoyed it..if they would like a demo some time, we may well be able to arrange it

Gald you enjoyed it all - I'm back to working flat out for a while now, but have a few ideas for another couple of longish posts in the spring...along with phots of the February meet with mmy mates in the Welsh Marches. I do hope that underblanket works :D

Red

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Hi I am new and found that thread great.
Pringles burn as well as prawn crackers although id rather have the prawn crackers.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
stitch said:
WOW this rocks :You_Rock_ this is sooooo cool :D :D :D
Glad you liked it Stitch mate.

Store up the things you want to try and I'll talk GW through teaching you (or Hawthorn). Or wait till I prise you away from Hawthorn for a couple of nights and we'll have some "fire fun"

Red ;)

Nick_S

Jan 2, 2007
Cornwall / Swindon
Red, you truly are a wise chap. Thank you so much for sharing all of this with us -- sure, a fair bit's common sense, but sometimes ya just need someone to point common sense out to you!

:You_Rock_

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Red :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Going along the food theme (Prawn cracker) how about marshmallows, them bu@@ers really burn once lit. Not the best tinder though and usualy eaten after you have the fire started?

I'l get me coat.:sulkoff:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE