Pukka Pidgeon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
After Garys goosing, a point was raised with smaller birds, they can be skinned or plucked then roasted or pot roasted whole or you can remove the brest, i find the easiest way to do it is like this..
take your Bird
Picture1197.jpg

Take the crop which is in the front of the birds neck, in a pidgeon it will probably be full of food, berrys,corn ect, and pull it up and away it will come away easily as the skin is thin here, this will expose the top of the brest.

Picture1199.jpg

then take the brest skin and pull it down this will expose the breast meat

Picture1201.jpg

then cut with a sharp knife against and down the brest bone removing the brest meat

Picture1203.jpg

and the same with the other side.

Picture1204.jpg

thiswill leave you with two nice peices of brest meat.

Picture1206.jpg

I hope this has been of some interest, :biggthump Pw/JP ............

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
thanks JP.. as someone who knows very little on the topic of pidgeon do you do anything with the rest of the bird? or is it not good for eating? :wave: :You_Rock_

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Tomtom, in a survival/bushcraft situation you'd waste nothing as we have pointed out before.

Prime meat - breast and thighs would be eaten as is (cooked of coure) but the rest of the carcus Could be boiled along with the heart, kidneys ect to make a broth.

Those none edible parts could be used a bait for fishing maybe - the skinned birds hide could be used to make a decoy and the bones go into making tools and such.

Its only in our wasteful society today that we would even concieve killing and taking just the breast.

Nice one JP - ONE QUESTION - WHERES THE SHINY NEW KNIFE? :wink:

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Took these pick's a while ago, but my flaimin internet went wonky! Ok now thanks to my best buddy :wink: ,tomtom as Gary says, to make good use of the whole bird you basically follow Garys goose instructions, gut the bird cut the head,wings,legs off then skin it, the skin comes off easily and then use the whole lot,you could put the whole bird in a billy with some root veg cover with water, salt pepper to taste (paprica,chilly what ever you like) put it on the heat bring to the boil then reduce the heat (raise the billy or place on the edge ofthe fire ect) and simmer till cooked nothing goes to waste then. :biggthump
Ps, didnt cook this one as my ferrets prefer them raw. :lol:

gurthang

Nov 22, 2004
Devon/Hampshire
I've found that if you find the brest bone than push down firmly on either side with your thumbs the skin splits and can be pulled out of the way easily then you can remove the breast meat with your knife. only takes about a minute.

great pictorial by the way :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE