Propolis Tincture

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share

I managed to land some propolis from the very nice chap that is British Red and his hard working bee's :)

I have to say I had to research what propolis was and what to do with it. Give it a google its interesting stuff - bees are truly a wonder.

Well a common option is tincture. So I looked up how to make this and decided to use half of it for this. The other half I would like to have a go at a Salve for my first aid kit.

Here's the ingredients

635bc04758abd0ec561492967db296cd_zps987bfc0f.jpg

The propolis, some grain alcohol and that's it. The idea is to soak the propolis in a high proof grain alcohol to extract all the botanicals. The higher the proof the better this works. But as I'm adding this to drinks to consume it it needs to be drinkable :)

The propolis was chopped up to help maximise the contact area. Stuffed in a bottle, Alcohol added, It now needs to sit in a dark warm place and be shaken a few times a day to help the process along.

b1cd13f711f8a2be24bdf569b20a29c1_zpse5c89fe2.jpg

Lets see how it all goes once its had a few weeks.

And a big thanks to British Red as the inspiration to learne a new bit of knowledge :thankyou:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting stuff Albus - I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the tincture.

If you ever need very high proof spirit (90%+), shoot me a PM :)

Red

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Interesting stuff Albus - I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the tincture.

If you ever need very high proof spirit (90%+), shoot me a PM :)

Red

I did look for higher but it either gets nasty commercial stuff or highly pricey. So 80% proof was best I could get off the shelf easy.
If I try it again I will give you a heads up for both parts :)
I did read that freezing the propolis then smashing it up works. But I was impatient so I stuck with chopping. May take longer but will get there?

The other half now needs a bit more thought to sort a salve

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It'll work - as you say it just has a bit lower concentration of solvent. You need to hang around with the Polish guys for strong stuff (160 proof) :)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Wows. That's some strong stuff. Both of the ones listed. I did find a high one similar to that but again a lot of money.

I have a 60% single barrel malt and I thought that was high :)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I stuck it in the airing cupboard as I though the warmth would aid the process. Not checked it yet this evening, but will give it a shake before bed.

I read somewhere about using a small piece of propolis placed in the corner of the mouth used raw for sore throats, etc. Had a little try of that too. After a while it sticks to your palet and sits there feeling tingly for a bit. It lasts a long while. Handy stuff.

No way was I using the malt for this :) that has medicinal use all of its own - stress relief

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
My grandfather used propolis as a kind of chewing gum during the winter months to keep the cold and sore throat away.
He also said that he had to get a handfull of bee stings in the spring before the winter stiffnes in his body would go away. And I read something about the poison in the bees are used to make some medicine/painkiller for arthritis, so I guess he was on to something.

Looking foreward to see the result of your efforts.

BTW: At the bottom of this thread I posted my attempt at chaga tinkture: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110231

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Interesting stuf Martin, thank you... will ahve to ask a old mate about any he may have spare from his hives:)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Had a little read on Chaga. Another interesting one. Especially the use of both water and alcohol extraction and combining the two.
Will keep my eyes out for that one. Cheers

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Gave it a shack this morning. So it's only had less than a day. We are currently yellow (think saffron in a glass of water)

Not sure actually how dark it's meant to go, but will find out eventually :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE