Primus model 41 - Advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cogola

Apr 21, 2009
Western Australia
I've retrieved a primus model 41 from the back shed that belonged to the old man. It probably hasn't been used in over 30 years but I was wanting to get it back into working order.

Primus41_3.jpg

Primus41_1.jpg

The box is in pretty poor condition with patches of rust and peeling paint but the fuel tank and burner appear to be in ok condition, apart from the pump washer which has dried out. The fuel tank appears sound although there is a lot of solder on it. Possibly it's been fixed in the past.

Primus41_4.jpg
Primus41_2.jpg

Can anyone suggest how to go about restoring this stove to working condition and can you get washers to fit the pump? Am I right in assuming that this is a kero stove which would be primed with something like meths?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lovely stove, one I don't have myself but would like. All your spares are available from

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/ Phone Mike there and explain the stove you have and he will sort you out.

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/index.php? super friendly free forum (I've posted there a couple of time myself;) ) You can view all the reference and fettling material as a non member, or you can join for free to access the lounge area.

Some other 41's
http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showgallery.php?fid/364/

Edit
Just noted you are in the States, join the stove forum, there are a lot of Americans there and you may be able to pick up a couple of spares from them

Last edited:

Cogola

Apr 21, 2009
Western Australia
Thanks for the links Richard. I'll go and have a look and see what I can find out. I'm not in the US but rather Australia, and the best bit too, the west.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks for the links Richard. I'll go and have a look and see what I can find out. I'm not in the US but rather Australia, and the best bit too, the west.

I'll certainly send you a pump leather that will fit and a tank seal that should fit if you pm me your address.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi Cogola,

I've got a Primus 41 exactly the same as yours... They are a very good stove and were very expensive when new and are worth a small fortune now when restored.. Asian collectors pay serious dollars for them on Ebay and the likes...

It's actually a very good stove to use as good as an Optimus 111 with a better pump IMHO yours like mine has the roarer style burner which is a bit rarer than the Silent style burner IIRC. I notice it's also had a solder repair done on the filler neck on the tank. This is common as the stove has a design flaw in that if you put a reasonable sized pot on the stove the flames get redirected to the tank and the heat melts the solder on the filler neck!! On later models they used a sheet steel heat shield to prevent this.

As Rik says all the bits to restore it are available except the burner tank and case.

Here are a few images of mine...

Primus41generalview.jpg

burnerdetail-1.jpg

P1010177-2.jpg

P1010176-2.jpg

Primus41andOptimus111.jpg

If you've got any question drop me a PM and I'm happy to help.. I'm not too far away in NZ...

Cheers

John

Cogola

Apr 21, 2009
Western Australia
Thanks for the feedback John. I'm taking Rik up on the offer of the pump leather and tank seal. I'll then have a go at lighting it up. If I have any trouble I might be in touch. I'll update this thread with my progress. I'm looking forward to getting this stove going again, it's a beautiful piece of kit. Any ideas on what I should do with the case. I'm tempted to peel off the paint flakes, stabilise the rust then just leave it as is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE