Primus 96 refurbishment.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Some time back two Primus 96 stoves turned up in our Scout group jumble sale donations. Our GSL decided they'ld do more good for the group as stoves than the couple of quid they would be sold for. I've been given them on the undestanding that if I can get them both working I can keep one.

I've put new pump leathers, burner lead seals and NRV pips in both and 'mine/the Scout's one' runs fine. 'Peter's/the Cub's' one seems to be losing pressure. There is remains of a lead washer on the mating face of the NRV.

Should there be lead seals on the NRVs?

Where might the leak be? I can't see any sign of escaping fuel.

The flashback arrestor/strainer gauze is quite blackened. Is that a problem?

Cheers.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
There should be lead washers on the NRVs, although BaseCamp supply nylon washers IIRC, or even washers cut from polythene washing-up liquid bottle.

The main culprit for pressure loss is the filler cap seal. dig it out and replace it. Nitrile or viton washers are ideal and can be obtained from Basecamp or from Spiritburner on ebay,. Again , poly bottle will do as a stopgap.

If it still loses pressure after you've rplaced the cap seal, pump it up and plunge it in a pail of water - bubbles from anywhere other than the jet nipple will indicate a leak.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I wouldn't worry too much about the strainer gauze being blackened, I ran mine a few times without it after it took a vacation in the dark recesses of the garage. I have since replaced it with a piece of stainless steel scouring pad - though I can't tell any difference in performance.

Ogri the trog

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Just made some lunch :)

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

Hammer not part of the cooking process!

IMG_1579.jpg

Looks like a success. Thanks for your help people. I got a tin of random bits with the stoves and there were two filler cap seals in there. For the time being I made up some leather NRV seals.

...took a vacation in the dark recesses of the garage.

I like that. Various tools, components and materials are doing that in my workshop.

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
how well do they pack in their tins? i just got given an optimus 96L and the tin looks about the same size but has it's lid on one of the small sides and getting the stove, spanner, pot legs etc. into the tin is a nightmare.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Have a look here, particularly here. (the potrests would go in the bottom under everything else)

Personally I wouldn't bother with a Primus 96 or Optimus 96 as despite their useful size, there's far too many bits which can easily get lost in the field.
If you want a good, small classic paraffin stove for travelling, go for a primus 210 or Optimus 00.

Last edited:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Have a look here, particularly here. (the potrests would go in the bottom under everything else)

Personally I wouldn't bother with a Primus 96 or Optimus 96 as despite their useful size, there's far too many bits which can easily get lost in the field.
If you want a good, small classic paraffin stove for travelling, go for a primus 210 or Optimus 00.

The Optimus 00 Is a cracking bit of kit...

optimus00andkettle.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE