Primary edged tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
kniven
Bushcraft Black and a Fallkniven F1
I dont wear axes. Forestry owners dont like axe work, our country is too small and the forest even smaller.
But at my basecamp there is always an axe around.

I have a woodgas stove, so no chopping or sawing required. I also feel confidents in conservation areas with a stove, I just light it on a rock.
So no handsaws needed too.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm camping all weekend, so an apt question. Primary for me is a strong folder with a flat grind.

Primary is is either a Spydero PITS folder or a Paramilitary 2. Today, picked the Delica for some reason. These do most stuff. I do have a fixed blade by Mike (PITS) that is dainty and flat ground. It's perhaps the nicest food prepper ever, handled in Harris tweed micarta.

I have with me a Rob Evans Bushtool also. It's not a food prep type knife, it likes eating wood though. :)

Silky Zubat for woodcutting.

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
As I do a lot of fly fishing I always carry my karesuando stainless blade which gets a lot of use and abuse. Longer trips I do take a small hatchet as it makes life so much easier.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
If I only grab one cutting tool, this is it:
IMG_3319.jpg
IMG_3316.jpg

I had J. Neilson forge the blade (7 inch cutting edge) to my spec from W2 steel and I put the handle on and made the sheaths to suit different purposes.
I guess it falls in the category of a camp knife an it will and has done everything - I couldn't be happier with it.

Brandon-C

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2017
Highlands
My primary is a knife, a TBS Boars in 14c28n, but I do find that an axe can do a lot of things that the knife can't so I don't mind the weight of having an axe (a Hultafors hunting axe).

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Depends on what I'm doing really.

If it's just a few hours bimble in the woods then I'll take a folding knife (generally my Lansky World Legal). If it's further afield or where I know I'm going to be prepping wood for my woodstove then I'll take a fixed blade full tang so I can baton wood.

If it's an overnight camp then generally fixed blade and a small parang.

Only time I'd take an axe is if we're going 'car camping' or staying somewhere with a woodstove/fire where I'd rather use my own axe than spend time sharpening someone else's axe when we get there (that said, If I find a dull axe I'll generally sharpen it anyway but leave a warning note on it in case someone thinks it's still blunt).

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I use an axe and a knife equally. Pretty much use my axes daily. I process a lot of wood for carving etc. Although when generally out and about I don't carry either.

I dont see the need to have a knife with me when walking the dog. I always have several floating around the van though.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I use knives, axes, machetes, and saws; but my primary (the one I use the most and I'm never without) would be a knife.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
If I only grab one cutting tool, this is it:
View attachment 44126
View attachment 44127

I had J. Neilson forge the blade (7 inch cutting edge) to my spec from W2 steel and I put the handle on and made the sheaths to suit different purposes.
I guess it falls in the category of a camp knife an it will and has done everything - I couldn't be happier with it.
My word, that's a proper knife! That sheath is stunning too. Right up my street. :p

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Recently I have been fond of carrying my GB 1/2lb hatchet, plus a pocket knife, and either a Bahco laplander or Boreal folding bucksaw (Depending on the weather and location)

I find a 1/2 lb head to be just enough to prepare for a fire, but I am curious to try a 1lb hatchet head on a longer shaft.

I picked up an E Jonsson Mora no1 (cheers monkey boy) on the forums the other day so going to give that a shot. I have grown to like a light, sharp knife, coupled with another tool.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Never really needed an axe to be honest. Most places I went had lots of wood available that only needed sawing. As I'm not all that experienced with an axe, I don't feel like using it much when I'm farther away from civilization. I only use an axe when I need wood for a heated tent or spending the night in a shelter in winter.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
My primary tool is, generally, a knife. The type and size will depend on the intent of the trip and which tasks I'm likely to need it (or them) for.

I also occasionally use axes. Again, task dependant, but generally a German splitter (One of the ALidli jobs, whichever sells the yellow handled axes).

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
Depends on what I'm doing, if I'm out in the day I'd take a knife, if I had plans to do an overnighter then I'd take a axe as well.
My axe is small (<750g) and has a saw stored inside the grip. That way I always have an appropriate and safe tool to hand (the smaller sizes mean more effort as you need to chop or saw for longer, but I like the exercise!).
If I had to rely on a specific tool for survival (i.e. just leaving wasn't an simple option) then I'd take a spare,

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Still going strong: my Mark Hill M.x.x.A in Rwl-34. Covers most tasks very well.

R70pckil.png

Apr 7, 2015
Finland
I usually carry a thick spined puukko. I used to own a fiskars x5. It was brilliant little razor but very soon I traded it to something, cant remember what it was. If I take axe with me, I carry it on a chest belt under my long jacket. This way I dont need to take a pack with me and wont make anybody uncomfortable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE