Preserving Leather Straps?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Afternoon all,

I've recently taken possession of a number of small in good condition but old leather straps. About 15mm wide and 300mm long.

I know more or less what to put on boots to soften and preserve etc but not sure about straps?

As I have 2 sides to look after am not sure what to use? The skin/shiny side is ok for me but what about the other rougher non skin side? I don't tend to preserve the inside of my boots :) so not sure what is good here as these will be subject to weather conditions.

Any advice at all please?

Thanks and cheers

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The same oils you'd use on any leather products. Neatsfoot oil, baseball glove oil, saddle oil, etc.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Go gentle on the products. The rough side will happily absorb loads, and then the straps will get overly soft and fat.

If they are still soft and pliable I would just put the product on the smooth side.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Leather and the weather don't do well together.
What exposure do you expect? How soft do you need these straps to be?
I'd treat the smooth face just well enough for effect.
Like you, I never did anything to the inside of any leather boots.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Go gentle on the products. The rough side will happily absorb loads, and then the straps will get overly soft and fat.

If they are still soft and pliable I would just put the product on the smooth side.

Leather and the weather don't do well together.
What exposure do you expect? How soft do you need these straps to be?.....

Or how stiff? Some leather items need a certain degree of "body" to properly function. Who wants a saggy belt? So I have to also agree with Janne about not overdoing it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That is correct. How soft do they need to be? Not at all soft (possibly.)

I have been using leather strops for wood carving tools for a long time.
Their hardness is an important issue so they don't rebound.
The waxy carrier for the honing compound has ruined every leather strop I own = junk.
I use cereal box card now for best results.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
FleshPan, remember, the leather is preserved by tanning, so getting wet (then drying) will not rot it.
The waxes/oil are there to keep it supple and in case of shoes have a certain degree of water proofing.

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Thanks all, The straps are already quite soft and flexible which I think they are meant to be. Mainly used for tieing up your bed roll/tent, attaching bits to your pack etc. These are surplus from Varusteleka. I'm more of a dubbin an lanolin man myself so I guess I'll stick with those compounds.

Cheers again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE