Powercraft Bandsaw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I'm looking at getting my hands on a powercraft 350w bandsaw for about £50

Has anyone got any experience with these things? are they any good?

Bit P'd off to be honest as i missed a cracking Ryobi one that i'd been watching ont the bay for days and planned to swoop in at the last minute, remembered 5 mins too late it went for £29.50!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah well

Any advice that you good folks can offer me as to the serviceability and or reliability of the powercraft model would be great!

Thanks

Dave

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Powercraft aren't the best brand around, however, I bought a nu tool table saw a couple of years ago. Tightened all the slack, fitted mechanical stops onto worm screws etc, now its as accurate as any other time after time.
So I'd say go for it, as long as the cut depth and throat are big enough for you. Just be prepared to tighten all the slack and get a decent band, and fasten it to something solid.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
bit nervous mow lol but TBH i'm only going to be using it for light stuff like planking etc, might plump for it and see how she goes on. For that price i cant go far wrong can i?

Then maybe get something a bit more substantial later in the year

Dave

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Got a decent jigsaw but its awkward i will be using it to rip scales out of seasoned wood, tried this with a jigsaw and its REALLY messy lol

i think that a bandsaw would be miles better

plus have some projects that would be easier with a bandsaw i think

Dave

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
it might sound overkill, but you could get a half decent table saw with an accurate fence off evil bay for that money, ive tried using bandsaws with a fence and its not brilliant, and that was with a huge cast iron wadkin jobby. with a cheaper, lower power one youll struggle.
with a table saw you could make one cut and have your scales ready to sand/plane/thickness. where with a band saw youll have far more waste to plane down.
Having said that, band saws are far more forgiving on the skin than a table saw, and if your using small blanks, it would be safer with a band saw.

swings and roundabouts, as long as the one your looking at will cut well seasoned hardwoods and not stall, or go off the line.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I've already got a circular saw and am looking at a bench for it to fit into, i'll take some wood with me and make sure it will go through it before i hand over the reddies though i think lol

Dave

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Good idea, take some well seasoned timber to rip through. Something hard like purpleheart or the hardest stuff you'd use. If it'll rip through a decent amount without wandering, it'll see you right.
Best of luck mate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE