Power cuts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
Is anyone else having a power cuts recently? We have had two with in less the a day. The second one was tea time aswell. Its amazing how many burgular alarms go off. I sat outside cooking on the camping stove listening to them all. The neighbours got a tad hungry i think. :D The last power cut we had before these two was caused by a squirrel.
So what do you do when theres a power cut?
Very off topic, but i suppose it is some bushcraft because you can cook some good stuff and not on you main house hold stove, you can have a good excuse.

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
Gas cookers are good in power cuts until you have to light them. The sparker thing is run off electricity i think. We knew someone that nearly blew up their house because they used a lighter to light the gas oven.
Crazy people

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I either use a lighter or a match to light my gas oven as the electric igniter is bust.

Oh and I had a power cut two weeks ago, OK since but I have ensured that all the candle lanterns are accessable since.

David

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Your right ODG they are what with gas prices increasing etc.

As long as you have access to a sustainable wood pile (which I expect you have owning a woodstove) - peaches & cream :D

Easier to dry your sock on a woodstove than on a gas ring (yeh I could open the oven door but that's too much like hard work)

David

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
JoeG said:
Gas cookers are good in power cuts until you have to light them. The sparker thing is run off electricity i think. We knew someone that nearly blew up their house because they used a lighter to light the gas oven.
Crazy people

lighting a gas stove with a lighter is safe enough as long as you have the flame going on the lighter before you turn on the main gas. if you turn on the main gas, scrabble around for a lighter, realise the flints burst find a match then strike it... then you could blevvy the kitchen.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
We haven't had any cuts yet this season (though tonights winds might change that) but we've had several each winter since we moved in. Through the night there's nothing different - pitch black and very quiet. Once you get over the initial shock of being plunged into darkness, finding torches and candles etc its quite pleasant I think!
There's the Rayburn for warmth and cooking, oil lamps for light and a wooly smug feeling that comes from knowing that there are folk around who simply can't live if there is NO electricity.
Yes, we rely on an electric pump to draw water from the well - (but theres no water in it at the moment anyway so nothing to worry about there, living on bottled!) - and it would be a great change if we had to go for more than a few days without the 'lecky, but its OK really.

Ogri the trog

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Apart from no problems with the cooker we sit down and watch a bit of telly or a video, maybe a DVD, put a couple of side lights on and use torches in the rest of the house, any thing more serious we can fire up one of the generators and get the central heating going.

Apart from that life as normal.

LS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE