Porcupine quills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hardly european......

But I have a bundle of quills, they are used as fishing floats but I was wondering if there was a more interesting use for them?

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I was at Port Lympne animal park earlier this year and they were selling porcupine quills. Next to the box where they were displayed was a note suggesting some uses for them.
I can't for the life of me remember what any of the suggestions were :rolleyes:

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I was at Port Lympne animal park earlier this year and they were selling porcupine quills. Next to the box where they were displayed was a note suggesting some uses for them.
I can't for the life of me remember what any of the suggestions were :rolleyes:

S0rry, that wasn't very helpful was it? :eek:

Just had a bit of a look round and apparently the Native Americans use them alot for decoration on clothing and jewellery. Looks like the done thing is to flatten them with the teeth then drill a small hole in the wider end and thread them onto pretty much whatever you like.
They've also been used as arrowheads and the tips of darts, although I'm not too confident they'd be strong enough for that. :confused:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have used one of the ones I picked up in South Africa as a sewing needle, others as hat decoration, along with feathers, while the others await ideas!
John

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
The quills are very decorative. I Like to collect some when I find a dead porky in the woods - the fisher cats kill them and hollow them out, leaving the quill covered backs and tails behind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE