Poor quality boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GeoffWood

Maker
Sep 30, 2008
Derbyshire
During 2023 I bought 3 pairs of boots all of which turned out to be a disappointment.
I wanted a light weight boot for dry and easy walking - they all failed within weeks due to wear exposing hollow heels
OK, they were not expensive boots (Regatta, North Ridge) but one pair bore the Vibram brand which I previously trusted.
Can anyone recommend a sub £100 boot that has definitely got a solid heel?
I have looked at Merrell Moab boots but they also might be hollow heels Vibram too
I have (and am happy with) my Meindl and Altberg boots for harder walking

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Son2 likes the Merrell Moabs, but he's not exactly heavy on his boots. They seem to last well though, the uppers still in good nick by the time he eventually wears through the heel....and the local cobbler says that those are repairable/ cut off and a new piece of sole fitted in.
By the time Son2's worn them that far though, he's had enough of them and is ready for a new pair.

Might be worth asking the local repair place if he thinks your boots are worth repairing ? Pretty sure under twenty quid is cheaper than an entire new pair.

M

Reactions: Chris

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I like the Merrell moabs. It’s worth trying a pair on. Very comfortable and lightweight but we are all different. Go and try a pair.

Reactions: Chris

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Different style could be Clark’s “Active Air” (I think) boots. Built on a wide last so I came down a size. They are very comfortable and have a reasonably grippy sole. Not sure about resoling. Available on eBay for about £60. NOT nasty weather wear unless you have sealskins inside. Very pleasant footwear for easy terrain IMHO. Great for mooching around in forests too. Shoe style was available in shops before Christmas; boots more of a rarity in my experience.
Just my 2d worth.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Peak District, but low ground rather than Moor walking.
The ones I bought last year didn't last 3 months until the hole in the heels appears. The Regatta ones were sent back.
I have some Moab shoes and they have done me well. Current pair are about 18 months old now and I wear them every day, no issues so far.

GeoffWood

Maker
Sep 30, 2008
Derbyshire
Son2 likes the Merrell Moabs, but he's not exactly heavy on his boots. They seem to last well though, the uppers still in good nick by the time he eventually wears through the heel....and the local cobbler says that those are repairable/ cut off and a new piece of sole fitted in.
By the time Son2's worn them that far though, he's had enough of them and is ready for a new pair.

Might be worth asking the local repair place if he thinks your boots are worth repairing ? Pretty sure under twenty quid is cheaper than an entire new pair.

M
Thanks for that.
I never thought of getting them repaired!
We have a very good shoe repair man in town. I'll see what he says

Reactions: Toddy

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Have to agree with you on the state of "Vibram".

What used to be the last word in tough soles has degenerated into some kind of crowd pleasing money scamming company -Make them cheap so that people need to buy a new pair every 6 months. :( - whose only relationship to its traditional roots is the yellow sticker (if it doesn't fall off, and some of mine have...).

Reactions: Macaroon and Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I was looking for the same thing as you, but I wanted waterproof. Rather than getting into reviews and comparisons of fancy walking boots, I started looking at the sort of shops that sell stuff for people that really use it, gun shops, agricultural suppliers, even workwear suppliers. I reckon Hoggs of Fife make some good value stuff, also tried on a few pairs of Aigle. I settled on some Le Chameaux which aren’t at all what you’re after, but seeing Michelin and not Vibram on the sole was pleasing. Vibram have gone way downhill, the North Face and Karrimor of the boot world.

My Bates lasted for years and years, only just giving up now, bought 2013. Bates are cheap (ish) and my GT8 have been amazing.

5.11 make a decent boot. I’ve had a pair of Fast Tac for a while and they’ve been good so far. Light, reasonable looking, and cheap.

Vibram soles are replaceable, Google throws plenty of options.

Last edited:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
My Scarpa Trek boots are only 3 years old and the soles have fallen apart. The previous pair of Scarpas lasted over 8 years of the same use. Apparently it will cost £100 to resole them but the cobblers use Vibram replacements so it might be just throwing money away again.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sixteen quid's an expense but it's still cheaper than buying another pair of boots to wear out just as quickly :sigh:

I think there is too much built in obsolescence these days, and rather too much toleration for it as well.

I hope the repair lasts longer than the original did :D

M

Reactions: Nice65

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
I have a pair of lowa desert boots as issued to the military in Afghanistan in the early years .

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
A pair of Lowas lost their sole by what looked like depolymerization which is slightly strange as in case of PU that most often requires certain catalysts. The sole material seemed to have changed into a sticky goo on one side and both promptly fell off.

Mar 15, 2024
Essex
I wondered if anyone has tried the Bison Bushcraft boots? They're too expensive for me but they tick all the boxes for me - natural materials, made in the UK, designed for woodland, repairable. I'd be interested to hear if they're actually up to the job.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE