Poncho liner underblanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cogola

Apr 21, 2009
Western Australia
After having read many positive reviews on the virtues of hammock camping I invested in a DD frontline hammock late last year. My work has me camping out for most of the summer and where I used to use a swag I decided to give the hammock a try. I must say it has been a very comfortable way to sleep. As it is summer here with little chance of rain I have rarely had to use a tarp. Initially I was using a 3/4 length thermarest type mat underneath but ended but with niggling cold patches when sleeping on my side. I'd seen all the posts on the value of underblankets but couldn't justify the expense of an off the shelf model. I managed to pick up a new quilted poncho liner on sale for about £15 from a great local military product shop called kitbag (kitbag.com.au). I had my sister sew some tabs onto the end for me then ran some comms cord from these tabs to a metal o-ring then connected this with a short length of comms cord to a small krab which I connected to the main krab I suspend the hammock from. So far this system has proved to be very effective, not that it gets that cold at night, and I've been very pleased with the setup. I would have preferred a non-cammo liner but you can't have everything. I've posted a couple of pics (at least I hope I have) of the setup.

Last edited:

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Cogola said:
work has me camping out for most of the summer

That must be a terrible life......

HA! Now that's a job I'd happily get in to!! What do you do?
Nice looking set up by the way, I too love sleeping in hammocks but still haven't found a reason to justify the price of an underblanket when I have my own little set up that works just fine :)

Thanks for sharing

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE