pls recommend me a flashlight with handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

skybandit

May 1, 2007
sussex, uk
Hi I am relatively familiar with all the usual cylindrical tactical style flashlights, owning a few myself, but for xmas my dad has asked for a torch with a handle to replace the one on his boat (which is something like this: http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Eveready-Torch-sku53310801.asp ).

I would like to give him an upgrade and get something that is top quality but haven't a clue what is available in the large, handled torch section of the market.

Any guidance or advice would be much appreciated!

cheers
Pirran

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
No No No this has got me looking at big new generation powerful torches I didn't even realise I needed one but I obviously do-sorry this pathetic post is of no help to the OP but I shall return if I find the ultimate big waterproof bright torch

Found this it has Cree LEDs which will really up the output bit pricey mind http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=186989

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
How about this one... http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/jetbeam/jetbeam-rrt3.html ... is it worth it, IMO no but it does have a handle?

How much do you want to spend OP? What battery type do you want, standard or lithium or lead-acid? LED or Incan preferred? Primary or rechargeable power source? Mega throw or wide spill or maybe both?

You could always buy the torch in your link and with the money saved over an expensive torch buy a job lot of spare batteries and bulbs?

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
No No No this has got me looking at big new generation powerful torches I didn't even realise I needed one but I obviously do-sorry this pathetic post is of no help to the OP but I shall return if I find the ultimate big waterproof bright torch

Found this it has Cree LEDs which will really up the output bit pricey mind http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=186989

The size and weight of these type torches will be a major obstacle in their being used. Having 5 million candlepower tells us nothing really as torchy people use lux and lumens. Yes it may be bright but at a cost of being an unwieldy beast and I would bet a much much smaller and lighter 'tactical' torch could out perform this one in every way and without spending too much extra.

I have had untold torches from 500,000 candles to 20,000,000 candles and 6 volt krypton bulbed to wall hung rechargeables in all forms, mag lites to multi led heads and all are consigned to the bin either through breaking, not performing or being too big and heavy.

A pocket size light can now throw a beam 200 yards and last for many hours on a set of tiny rechargeable batteries. Also it can be used in various modes with different brightness levels which is very important as there are times several million candles of light is just too much.
I was in Costco yesterday and they had the 20 million candle yellow beasts on display and they must have been 2ft by 1.5 ft by 1 ft in size and weigh maybe 10 pounds!! I think the battery lasts half an hour or was that an hour before a 10 hour charge was needed!! Made me smile that beast did!

A £50-100 Fenix, Olight, Eagletac, Jetbeam etc... pocket light including several sets of batteries and charger will be all you ever need and will last well even if abused so long as you look after the O rings. Cheaper tactical lights are available and if your happy to use the warrentee every time the thing goes wrong or put up with the thing letting you down when you most need it then all's fine and well.

Steve.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The size and weight of these type torches will be a major obstacle in their being used. Having 5 million candlepower tells us nothing really as torchy people use lux and lumens. Yes it may be bright but at a cost of being an unwieldy beast and I would bet a much much smaller and lighter 'tactical' torch could out perform this one in every way and without spending too much extra.

I have had untold torches from 500,000 candles to 20,000,000 candles and 6 volt krypton bulbed to wall hung rechargeables in all forms, mag lites to multi led heads and all are consigned to the bin either through breaking, not performing or being too big and heavy.

A pocket size light can now throw a beam 200 yards and last for many hours on a set of tiny rechargeable batteries. Also it can be used in various modes with different brightness levels which is very important as there are times several million candles of light is just too much.
I was in Costco yesterday and they had the 20 million candle yellow beasts on display and they must have been 2ft by 1.5 ft by 1 ft in size and weigh maybe 10 pounds!! I think the battery lasts half an hour or was that an hour before a 10 hour charge was needed!! Made me smile that beast did!

A £50-100 Fenix, Olight, Eagletac, Jetbeam etc... pocket light including several sets of batteries and charger will be all you ever need and will last well even if abused so long as you look after the O rings. Cheaper tactical lights are available and if your happy to use the warrentee every time the thing goes wrong or put up with the thing letting you down when you most need it then all's fine and well.

Steve.

The OP said it was to replace one used on a boat. There's no such thing as too big, too heavy, or too bright on a boat (well there is but it's probably not available on the civilian market)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
That post you quoted was in reply to Redandshane's post. I will agree after thinking about it, not being a sailor myself, that a boat light may have different requirements to someone on land and size may not be so important. But I would still think a boat based light would need a combination of long throw, long runtime and being multi-mode to cover any eventualities?
If say you loose all power and are adrift you don't want a light with only full blinding output for a limited time but one that can run several days on low but can be switched to high power if needed? Also would not a signalling mode be handy if you need rescue?
Also something that comes to mind, seeing as how incandescent light penetrates fog and mist better than white LED light would this be a factor in choice?

Steve.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I'd say that whilst OP's intentions are undoubtedly good, the Energizer PJ996 lantern which he linked to would suit his father's requirements very well indeed.
It is inexpensive, reasonably robust, adequately damp-proof and certainly bright enough for the just about all it is required to do. It won't be a major disaster if it goes splash, nor will it be quite so much of a temptation for any light-fingered so-an-sos who might be lurking aound marina, dock or wherever. An additional smaller, quality torch on a lanyard may be well received but for most boat work the PJ996 type lanterns are ideal.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That post you quoted was in reply to Redandshane's post. I will agree after thinking about it, not being a sailor myself, that a boat light may have different requirements to someone on land and size may not be so important. But I would still think a boat based light would need a combination of long throw, long runtime and being multi-mode to cover any eventualities?
If say you loose all power and are adrift you don't want a light with only full blinding output for a limited time but one that can run several days on low but can be switched to high power if needed? Also would not a signalling mode be handy if you need rescue?
Also something that comes to mind, seeing as how incandescent light penetrates fog and mist better than white LED light would this be a factor in choice?

Steve.

I suppose it all depends on what type of boat (and what type of boating) My own experience (other than canoeing or riding with friends) is limited to jon-boats and bass boats on rivers and small lakes, bayous, and occasionally in the pass where the bay meets the Gulf of Mexico. In those cases it's usually a handheld spotlight used for illuminating across medium to long expanses of water or for shining frogs or flounder while gigging. Signalling is nice but usually that type of lighting is regulated by Coast Guard requirements and is separate from the illumination lighting.

skybandit

May 1, 2007
sussex, uk
Wow thanks for all your help chaps! To fill in some extra info - the boat is a small sailing yacht, and apart from nighttime /searchlight duties my father used to use his previous torch quite a bit for illuminating the engine bay, which is under the cockpit in an innaccessible cubby hole. So in fact the light shouldn't be too massive/powerful as it is needed for "everyday" use too. Gosh I hadn't thought about battery type, bulbs etc! Er, I suppose recharegeable would be good, but might be a bit of a pain to have to get the transformer out every time to recharge. I suppose LED would be more practical on a boat. Of course it would be good if it was splashproof or totally waterproof.......

Will now check out some of your recommendations - thanks v much

skybandit

May 1, 2007
sussex, uk
Wow that Jetbeam is very tempting!!! a little above what I was hoping to spend though. No idea how to recharge " three 18650 li-ion cells" either!

That handle mount thingy is a great idea - does anyone know if jetbeam or A.N Other make similar handles but in various generic sizes? I was thinking of making the old man a set based on the jetbeam idea......but as I write this I think I am getting distracted by my general desire for tactical style stuff - I am not sure this is really suited a yacht - presumably if this went overboard it wouldn't bob about merrily until retrieved!!

skybandit

May 1, 2007
sussex, uk
Hmm the lightforce look good, but as mentioned - the primary use is more for multi-pruprose / tinkering rather than finding men overboard. Whilst I would like the torch to have a reasonable throw and power, I don't want a massive, wired up search light.

Just read the comment regarding incandescent vs LED in fog - interesting!

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I use the striker model with variable power beam , the flood really floods and the spot hits the spot LOL. Coupled with a li-ion battery. The battery pack weighs about the same as an old road works lamp battery..the square type. It will go all night. The lance is a good portable size and fits inside a windproof smocks bottom pocket. Blue filters cut through fog. The beauty is that it can be dismantled without tools and comes with a spare bulb inside the handle....or they used to. You can run them from a cigar lighter socket on the boat or from the belt kit.
Hope you find what you need.
Chis

The Mighty Oak Is Merely A Nut Who Stood His Ground

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'd say that whilst OP's intentions are undoubtedly good, the Energizer PJ996 lantern which he linked to would suit his father's requirements very well indeed.
It is inexpensive, reasonably robust, adequately damp-proof and certainly bright enough for the just about all it is required to do. It won't be a major disaster if it goes splash, nor will it be quite so much of a temptation for any light-fingered so-an-sos who might be lurking aound marina, dock or wherever. An additional smaller, quality torch on a lanyard may be well received but for most boat work the PJ996 type lanterns are ideal.

I wholeheartedly agree Ian, but your see, its made by Energiser and is too cheap. Stick a Fenix badage on it and charge £99.99 and they will fly off the shelves;)

I would have thought it ideal for a boat for the reasons you stated. Splash out (excuse the pun) and buy him two at that money.

Nice find, Mr FGYT.

Looks to me like it ticks all OP's boxes. I'd consider that if I still owned a boat.

Ive had the little 90 for a few months now and for £15 its supurb its claimed 90 lumins is accurate as its just brighter than my Expensive Surefire 80 lumin and with the zoom feature it throws a beam much further to nice hand size (some are to small for my hands ) good clicky button only down side is it would be nice to have multi light levels when you dont need all the power.

ATB

Duncan

skybandit

May 1, 2007
sussex, uk
Brilliant find - looks perfect, and v cheap! Now where can I buy a Fenix sticker?

Thanks V much for your help everyone! Sorry to disappoint those who considered all the requirements so closely and well!

cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE