Planning to emigrate to New Zealand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hi all,

As the tittle says i am starting to look at emigrate to New Zealand as my wifes sister is living there and my mother in law will be there by the end of the year.

Lots to do and plan to get us there but sure with a bit of luck we will be there end of 2012 or start of 2013.

Does anyone know what issues i may face getting my kit over? i know Oz is strict with wood and dirt is that the same in NZ? and if so does anyone know how i go about making sure my bushcraft kit is let it?

Also anyone else done the same? any tips?

Cheers
T.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'd drop JohnBoy a PM mate, he's an ex-pat who is over there , should put you right and give you a play-mate for bushy frolics.

PS Hugely jealous , I may end up there but not for a few years yet. Great country , going back in a few years for another visit.

WolfGang

Aug 25, 2009
New Zealand
Yup New Zealand is pretty strict with all sorts of natural materials on kit that could potentially pose a threat to the environment here.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/declare - this link is to the Bio-security website concerning what you can and cant bring in - however its just a guideline.
There is an email on there to that you can contact them with enquiries about certain items too.

If you have things that are wood (ie knife handles) and what not i think you can pay to get them treated with radiation to kill anything as long as you declare them. I guess thats the same with other things also as long as they are generally clean, as long as you declare them they are pretty good about helping you do all that you can to keep them.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Yup New Zealand is pretty strict with all sorts of natural materials on kit that could potentially pose a threat to the environment here.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/declare - this link is to the Bio-security website concerning what you can and cant bring in - however its just a guideline.
There is an email on there to that you can contact them with enquiries about certain items too.

If you have things that are wood (ie knife handles) and what not i think you can pay to get them treated with radiation to kill anything as long as you declare them. I guess thats the same with other things also as long as they are generally clean, as long as you declare them they are pretty good about helping you do all that you can to keep them.

Thanks for the link, will take a read of that tomorrow. Thankfully my knife is micarta so that wont be an issue, but the axe would be an issue (will have to find out the cost to treat it vs buying a new one)

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Worrying about an axe will be fairly low down the list of things to worry about if your shifting from the UK to NZ. If its any help I brought a GB SFA in in my luggage after a trip back to the motherland and MAF didn't bat an eyelid....

Chat more via PM.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE