Planning a winter trip to Norway what do I need ,, Hmmmmm

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
When we having another one of these Cliff? :cool:

kitplanninghall.jpg

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
images

Without an ice auger, does an ice chisel become neccesary for fishing holes, or will the gransfors suffice?

I know someone said yes, your axe will suffice. At what time of the year, I ask?
In fall when the lakes begin to freeze over you could use an axe, but not later in winter.
Up, here, even in the lowlands, the ice will be between 50-100 cm (late winter and spring).
It will be a mighty wide hole when you have cut trough that with an axe.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I know someone said yes, your axe will suffice. At what time of the year, I ask?
In fall when the lakes begin to freeze over you could use an axe, but not later in winter.
Up, here, even in the lowlands, the ice will be between 50-100 cm (late winter and spring).
It will be a mighty wide hole when you have cut trough that with an axe.

What bait/lures do you use Tor when ice fishing in those conditions?

Those ninja Ice Gloves look the bees knees. Is there a UK distributor?

Last edited:
Sounds like you've got a great set up there, sure you're going to have a great trip.
Not sure where abouts in Norway, or what's part of the winter? I've made trips around new year ( very dark, very cold), and in April (really bright long days, and quite warm in the sun.) I always stay in huts so not really the same game though.
How much distance are you thinking of covering? I've never tried snow shoes, and have always copied the locals and gone on cross country skis (lots of falling over and swearing especially until you get the waxing right). You can get slightly wider mountain touring ones that are more suitable on soft deep snow. Takes some practice, but then probably snow shoes do too?
Look forward to seeing it come together!

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
What bait/lures do you use Tor when ice fishing in those conditions?

Those ninja Ice Gloves look the bees knees. Is there a UK distributor?

Feels like I`m hijacking the tread, but;
I use ordinary ice fishing lures. The lure isn`t dependant on the ice thickness.

blinker.jpg

The bait is usually maggots. You can buy maggots in most sporting goods stores.
When I was a kid and people had less money, we used "marflo" (Gammarus lacustris) as it was aboundant and free.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yes, dont want to hijack the thread. [Im getting excited about their trip even though I'm not going! :)]
I remember reading on Waylands excellent report, that the Sub Zero Lads may have blanked on the BCUK exped, and just wondered what works for a resident of Northern Norway. Many Thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE