Place in north scotland to camp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Thinking about a trip in mid dec, looking for somewhere maybe 50 miles max from inverness. I was wanting somewhere cold, with a good probability of snow, and fairly far from roads ( at least a mile) but within reach of public transport and a hike. After thinking, I belive the forests around loch morlich may be ideal. We'd be looking to camp almost on the treeline for max privacy, windiness and coldness. Following the lairig ghru up until it almost leaves the trees then camping looked good. I was hoping to build something like a brush teepee, as everytime I've been up their their's been alot of fallen trees. WOuld we get chucked off if we were 500m from the nearest path? Would anyone see/care? Could be have a small fire legitamitely if we were careful (not on a tree or anything stupid)? Any other locs would be great, thanks

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Fishy1
Welcome to Bushcraftuk! Though I would offer a few of my thoughs to your questions.
Firstly you can wild camp pretty much anywhere in Scotland thanks to the access code and as long as you use a bit of common sense.
Will you be bothered? Probably not if your discreat. Fires? Tough one this - The area your looking at contains a lot of peaty ground so you may end up causing a forest fire that re-emerges later on in the year, having said that some of the river banks maybe ok.
Building a basha? Would a tarp or a tent not suffice rather than cut live wood/brush from such a fragile area?
Cold, wet and windy? It certainly is! I was out in the hills last weekend where we had gusts of 60-70mph on the summits there is also snow on the tops now. Be aware you may have only six hours of useful daylight when you intend to go.
I don't wish to dampen your ideas but the Cairngorms can be a tough area to visit at this time of year.
Why not stay in Aviemore and hire a guide for a few days who can take you onto the high tops or maybe an overnight snowholing expedition?
Ta Ed

D

Deleted dude 7861

I'm also going up to Scotland for 2 trips in December but will be sticking to Skye as the Cairngorms can be a tough old place, think it was 1982 that Breamar saw -27.2!! Coldest ever recorded temperature in the UK. Would definately echo what was already said the area is in a very fragile state and people prefer if anyone is camping that they leave without a trace of them ever being there. Gamekeepers in winter often will get funny about wild campers as they have shoots and advise people to stay on paths, just makes you think that in reality there is no real right of access at times. Always best to ask permission on estates and at least that way you can relax.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Hi Fishy1
Welcome to Bushcraftuk! Though I would offer a few of my thoughs to your questions.
Firstly you can wild camp pretty much anywhere in Scotland thanks to the access code and as long as you use a bit of common sense.
Will you be bothered? Probably not if your discreat. Fires? Tough one this - The area your looking at contains a lot of peaty ground so you may end up causing a forest fire that re-emerges later on in the year, having said that some of the river banks maybe ok.
Building a basha? Would a tarp or a tent not suffice rather than cut live wood/brush from such a fragile area?
Cold, wet and windy? It certainly is! I was out in the hills last weekend where we had gusts of 60-70mph on the summits there is also snow on the tops now. Be aware you may have only six hours of useful daylight when you intend to go.
I don't wish to dampen your ideas but the Cairngorms can be a tough area to visit at this time of year.
Why not stay in Aviemore and hire a guide for a few days who can take you onto the high tops or maybe an overnight snowholing expedition?
Ta Ed

The plan was to use fallen trees to build a shelter, as their are often a few about. Any green wood would be taken as little as possible, and even then only trees that would suffer overcrowding. I love the cold and have a fair bit of winter mountaineering experience, just have never camped in the trees in a shelter I've made myself it winter.
To the north and NE of aviemore also looked good, e.g carn mor?

I wasn't aware of shooting going on in wintertime.

I know it can be a pretty wild place in winter, having climbed a few peaks in scotland, one memory stands out when at sea level, gentle breeze and occasional drizzle. At 3000 feet, gusts of approx 100 mph (walking was impossible except in the gaps) and a blizzard. Fun though.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'm with Limaed on this one. I spent 10 years in Mountain Rescue and have beeninvolved in more that one rescue resulting from people not appreciating just how severe the weather can get in Scotland, and especially in the Cairngorms. If you are travelling to Inverness you could also think about Glen Affric. There is also plenty of opportunity to do what you fancy abound Ballater and Braemar on Royal Deeside. There have been quite a few people on here who have asked about, then gone, to that part of the world.
If I were you I really wouldn't want to be too far from the road aunless you have a lot of experience of mountain environments. I really don't want to be a killjoy but it is very easy to get into trouble. People die within a few 100 metres of roads and shelter. Believe me you dont have to travel far to freeze and I think a good tent would be advisable here at this time of year and in the area you want to visit. Hope this helps.:D

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hi fishy1 and welcome to BCUK :)
Like Limaed and Fred I too live and work around the Cairngorms and would agree with the advice they have given.
I work for the RSPB which is a major landowner in the area, I personally would never practice shelter-building activities, or light a fire in the area around Loch Morlich. The forests there are the last remnants of the Caledonian Pine Forests which once covered a lot of the Highlands and are a highly sensitive and fragile habitat, even dead wood is regarded as important habitat. The RSPB and other landowners are working very hard to protect what is left of this natural forest and to encourage its expansion, so that future generations can enjoy and experience a truly native forest environment.

I too enjoy bushcraft, but when I have camped in that area I have always used a tent and stove and never lit a real fire. There are many other less fragile areas of forest in which you could practice bushcraft activities, but I truly feel that the last remaining areas of native pine woods are a real Leave No Trace area.

If you decide to visit, enjoy yourself and keep safe :)
Doug.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I've got mountaineering experience, in winter and summer, on some fair hills, in good and bad conditions. I'm well aware that condtions can turn nasty, however I'm capable of dealing with it. Was thinking of taking a tent just in case, but I was really hoping to build a shelter and sleep in it, in cold winter conditions. I'm looking for the coldest, windiest place I can get within a forest. Hoping for lots of snow. If I could get to glen affric, I would go, however there's no buses from inverness on sunday. Aviemore area is easy to get to. Is the area to NW of aviemore also Caledonian pine or just commerical forest? Because I wondered about that.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Fishy
I think the area your looking at is a mix between old forest and commercial growth, ive had a look myself for good sites but it dosen't seem ideal( though my Bushcraft experience is limted). Culbin Forest between Nairn and Forres may offer some option and is a large area but ive no idea where the Forestry Commision stand here with regards to Bushcraft - perhaps an email or phone call to them would offer some solutions?
You mentioned about shooting- it goes on all year round but different species as the season changes and if you want snow I think Jan and Feb are better, December just seems to be wet and grim on the hill!
Have you thought about a Bothy? Theres a couple you could walk into from Aviemore then you can have a fire and stay out without any problems? Ta Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE