Pivot pins and bolsters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Pivots are normally the point on which a knife blade swivels on a folding knife.

Pins are generally the little metal pins that hold the scales (wood or micarta) to the tang of the knife to form the handle.

Bolsters are normally at the front of the handle closest to the cutting edge, normally made of metal and can incorporate the finger gaurd.

I hope this explains:)

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
so just the 2 pins then, i take it the brass pins which are male and female just press together, soooo is that all that holds the scales/handles to the blank, also what are good easy to work with woods, that you can recommend, do they have to be dried/cured. or can you just use a piece you find???

leon-1

We normally use epoxy resin on the tang to hold the scales in place with the pins.

To work with I like cocobolo (although if I am using a belt sander I go orange), striped ebony, Oak, in fact the list is huge so not the best person to talk to about the best wood, but I would say that the denser hardwoods are pretty good.

Generally the wood that is used for scales will be seasoned in some cases they are Kiln Dried.

I wouldn't try just any bit that is lying about as I wouldn't know if it had been seasoned, which in turn could cause warping and shrinking of the scales once fixed to the knife.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
cheers for the info leon, so would you recommend to shape the scales then fix them or, fix them then shape them, do you oil before or after fixing,
you know like
1:fix scale
2:shape scale
3:eek:il or dye scale that knid of thing

leon-1

If you are doing it with hand tools then shaping the scale to the shape of the tang before you fix it to the tang isn't a bad idea, but you still want it kind of blocky. Once it is attached to the tang you can finish it off and do the final shaping.

If you are using power tools, then get a rough shape fix the scales to the tang and then remove the stock (the majority) of the wood using the power tools so you have the profile of the tang. When it comes to final shaping though revert to hand tools because unless you are a very skilled person with that piece of machinery the chances for messing up are huge.

Once it is firmly fixed in place and shaped to your requirement then you can oil it to your hearts content:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE