Pitching tarp and hammock for the first time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
As soon as my electricty rebate comes in, I'll be buying a DD hammock and tarp, but having never used this method before, I'd be very grateful for any info anyone can give regarding the technique. I suppose the main question is how much practice do I need to put in before heading for the woods, and do I need a degree in knots?

Thanks in advance.

Trail Runner

Nov 2, 2008
Larzac Plateau, France
Hello OurJud,
I'm in the same boat as you...my tarp and hammock arrrived yesterday. I spent a bit of time the days before looking at different set ups, knots and situations and came to the conclusion that it can be kept really simple in the beginning to get you oàut there then fine-tuned with time as your experience of difficulties arises.

To be truthful, I headed into the garden with an hour or so before dark yesterday and made a fool of myself in front of the neighbours :lmao: My ridge-line wasn't taut, my hammock was tied well (with a bow) but I hadn't considered the width of the hammock would concertina leaving me to slowly descend to the grass :11doh:

But, I was enjoying the whole learning process and creating a mental list of enquiries for the evening. After that first foray into the garden I realised I needed to know a few more knots (the Klemheist has already proved its worth in a couple of areas), I needed more cordage to take control of the tarp in a breeze and I needed a sharp knife. Those things arrive from the bay this morning so armed with paracord and my new Finnish bush knife I headed off for a trial in the woods....again, still not sleeping out - another semi-dry run.

I took my old cooker, some powdered soup, grabbed the dog and headed off. The result was a fab 3 hours putting up and adjusting the kit, making the missing line pegs, making a hot drink and finally putting my feet up for half an hour. Bliss.

Here's some pics of the finished article. My advice to you is to get 'out there' as soon as your kit arrives and make friends with it.

DSC00955-1.jpg

DSC00958-1.jpg

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
www.imrisk.com has about all you need for hammock camping information - or follow his links to Sgt Rock, Hammockforums, etc.

No complicated knots are necessary, but practice is!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Thanks Ogri. I'll take a look at that.

And Trail Runner - that looks like a mighty fine set-up for a newbie. You're certainly on a different boat to me now. I don't even have my tarp and hammock yet.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
check the dd web site out, there is information and links to Pablo's videos on how to put up hammocks and tarps
www.ddhammocks.com

Great stuff, sandbag, just what I was looking for - video tuition! I find it so much easier to folow than written instructions. Ta very much. I wish RM would spend more time demonstrating camp set-up in his shows. We see him putting up tarp and hammock, but in no great detail and with no explanation - a great television opportunity lost in my opinion.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I read up on it for ages before I used mine and practised some knots but it still took me 4 hours to get it "just right" - you do get quicker at it very quickly though :) but then i do like it to be done almost perfectly so I need to mess with it later,

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Great stuff, sandbag, just what I was looking for - video tuition! I find it so much easier to folow that written instructions. Ta very much. I wish RM would spend more time demonstrating camp set-up in his shows. We see him putting up tarp and hammock, but in no great detail and with no explanation - a great television opportunity lost in my opinion.

glad to help...shame you didn't check the group buy forum last month i was doing a dd group buy could have saved you some dosh...but i will be doing another one in march next year

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
And what do you mean by 'group buy' ?

Its just a group of people who want to buy the same things, so group together to buy it at a better price and save on postage costs.

Here's a few photos to inspire you....
PodProject008.jpg

snow07404.jpg

PodProject020.jpg

Two of my standard set-up, and a snap-shot of a thermometer after about 45 minutes when the outside temperature was about 4 degrees.

HTH

Ogri the trog

Trail Runner

Nov 2, 2008
Larzac Plateau, France
Thanks Ogri. I'll take a look at that.

And Trail Runner - that looks like a mighty fine set-up for a newbie. You're certainly on a different boat to me now. I don't even have my tarp and hammock yet.

Thanks. The temperatures are down to zero in the mornings and white over with frost...it's going to be a baptism of fire....very soon :eek:
I try to remember to get some pics.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I hesitate to ask, but what does DD stand for exactly? And what do you mean by 'group buy' ?

oops missed that bit at the end...as ogri has already put down. it is just a way of buying items in bulk from a seller at a cheaper price ..i've done 2 for dd now and both got alot of people in them. just have a look at the group buy forum to see if you would like anything ..o'yes i'll be doing another dd gp next year in about march

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Its just a group of people who want to buy the same things, so group together to buy it at a better price and save on postage costs.

Right, sorry for sounding so dim, but I'm still not entirely with you. The way I'm understanding it (or not as is more likey the case) is this: Someone's selling a tent for £100 so we wait until five people want that tent and each put in £20... kind of a time-share thing?

Okay, so I was being a little silly with that last line, but I honestly don't get it?

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
ok we will go with your tent... if you buy it..it will cost you £100..but if we get say 10 people the seller of the tent will sell 10 tents.. and will sell us the tents at £90 for each tent we buy.
it's a way off saving money for a group of people.

any clearer now

have a look in the 'group buy' forum

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE