pine resin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
I'm sure I've heard of orange skins being used, rub them on to remove the resin - supposedly works on tools too (gooey axes?). No idea if it works as I don't like eating oranges (love the juice though - strange eh?), so I've not had the raw materials to try. I seem to remember that orange zest is rich in oil,so it could be true. :confused:

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
I worked as a land surveyor for a number of years, often blazing miles of line through pine forest.

I found that simple shampoo back home took off pine pitch very well.

To get rid of the annoying stickiness of pitch covered hands or any other sticky body part or clothing in the field, simply rub dirt on them. The dirt sticks to the pine pitch making the area no longer sticky.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I collected a whole load of cones the other day.

this years and last years...the tree rats had `not` got them.

the stumps were covered in shredded larch cones though, so I guess the squirrels prefer those

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
As pine resin is effectively an oil, anything that gets rid of oil should be good. Red Adair? Gunk? (Joke)

Anyway, very fortuitous thread as I found some resin the other day, collected it, and ...er... other than sniffing it (hmmmmm...floor cleaner...), I haven't figured out what to do with it yet.

So, firestickythings it is!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE