Pigeons, the uses of!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 2, 2007
Herts, Uk
Hello everyone,
I was browsing through as always and saw the post about rabbit skin and thought that there may be uses that i hadnt thought about for the pigeons i shoot at work (see image for culprits) usually my friends fat ferrits get them, although i do leave a couple in the yard from time to time as i know there are fox's in the area.

29-03-07_1502.jpg

The Culprits

So any bushcrafty ideas on what i can use anything from these for?

I did think of flights for arrows but i think the wing feathers are too small!

Thanks

Mike

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Padawan_Mike said:
Hello everyone,
I was browsing through as always and saw the post about rabbit skin and thought that there may be uses that i hadnt thought about for the pigeons i shoot at work (see image for culprits)
Mike
I doubt I would eat feral pigeons as they feed on any ole sh!t.

I shoot a lot of them in work and they go in the bin.

Pigeon season is almost up on me. This is when I shoot a glut of Wood Pigeons, now I do eat them.
Strange thing with Pigeon breast meat is that if you fry it, you have something that looks and tastes just like prime rib eye beef steaks. Boil it and you have something that looks and taste the same a liver.

John

Apr 2, 2007
Herts, Uk
Hunter_zero said:
I doubt I would eat feral pigeons as they feed on any ole sh!t.

I shoot a lot of them in work and they go in the bin.

John

This is why i just give them to the ferrets.

Hunter_zero said:
Strange thing with Pigeon breast meat is that if you fry it, you have something that looks and tastes just like prime rib eye beef steaks. Boil it and you have something that looks and taste the same a liver.

Sounds like a very interesting meat :) .

Mike

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Hunter_zero said:
[Strange thing with Pigeon breast meat is that if you fry it, you have something that looks and tastes just like prime rib eye beef steaks. Boil it and you have something that looks and taste the same a liver.

Fry one, boil the other, mince 'em together and you got yourself a steak and liver pie. Who needs cows :D. Take up far too much land space anyway.

Don't mean to hijack but speaking of flights, what kind of feathers do you need? Particularly from a pheasant. Would be interested to know if you could get flights from a pigeon. Wanna go up a level from gaffa tape fletchings ;).

Can you do anything with the bones? Hooks?

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Pigeon breast is bloody nice.

I'm not sure I'd eat the dirty sky rats of London, but I saw you were in Herts and assumed these were shot in a more rural type area. I'd have no qualms about eating them to be honest.

Apr 2, 2007
Herts, Uk
dommyracer said:
Pigeon breast is bloody nice.

I'm not sure I'd eat the dirty sky rats of London, but I saw you were in Herts and assumed these were shot in a more rural type area. I'd have no qualms about eating them to be honest.

Your first guess would be right, i work in London :( too much concrete for my liking but it pays the bills. What are the laws around wood pigeons? i thought (although have never looked up) they were protected (at least this is what i can remember from my scout days shooting up fazels wood, though they may have said this to stop the 14 year old boys with rifles aiming at them :D ) we have a fair few wood pigeons around Kings Langley.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE