pigeon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
I just got a pigeon (bloody tuff cookie) Took a .22 out my hw90k from 20 metres to the head and still managed 2 wriggle round with the entire back of its head ripped off. The secound from point blank smashed through the side of its face. I though enough was enough and attempted to pick it up(near headless now) and the little bugga wiggled round once more. I thought the humanest thing would to allow the dog to crush it one blow and it was finally ready for my first taste of pigeon. One question where is the meat :confused:

Also i was watching the pigeons this morning and the brown bird swooped around and all the pigeons scattered. It was faired similar to a pigeon, maybe smaller wing span? What was this?

leon-1

You could take the head off, remove the feathers from the pigeon breast, clear out the crop and then rip the rib cage one way and the spinal column the other.

The breast fillets will be attached to the pre-plucked rib cage, just seperate the two.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Sounds like you are new to this kind of thing!.

If so don't take any of this the wrong way!

Most of the meat on any bird is on the breast

Firstly are you sure it is a Pigeon or is it a Dove? (Doves have very little meat though they are tasty!)

Secondly, It sounds as though you managed a clean shot (To the head) I would think the bird was dead when it wriggled around (Nervous reflex) however if you are to squeamish to pick up an injured animal and dispatch it by hand, question weather you should be shooting it in the first place!

You would have struggled to put a second pellet through it if you shot it in the leg!

Sorry to preach!

Stumpy

Jun 8, 2005
Outskirts of Dundee
I normally pluck the breast area and cut the breasts off close to the bone, then skin the breast pieces and discard the remainder of the bird. My preferred method of cooking is to slice the breasts thinly (3mm thick approx) and flash fry in garlic butter - do not over cook as the meat dries out quickly and becomes very tough. The meat is dark & tasty.

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
I have had well over 100 pigeons, but never have i tried to eat them. I am moving up now, im still young(16) and have not had experinece before so i will make mistakes time to time (ie beeing a little squimish.) I am sure the first time something went wrong for many of the people on here they did not react in the best way. What are you on about the leg? their is nothing wrong with the legs. I took two shots both hitting the head.

Also a little update. I have seperate the meat from the rest of the body exact the breast bone. Now i was thinking about going bushcraft and having the outdoor oven. Would i be best seperating the meat fro mthe bone for this or not?

Also i was squmish while doing this, but as i previously stated i have not done nor seen this done before. It would be only normal for me to show some reaction.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
scouser4life said:
I have had well over 100 pigeons, but never have i tried to eat them. I am moving up now, im still young(16) and have not had experinece before so i will make mistakes time to time (ie beeing a little squimish.) I am sure the first time something went wrong for many of the people on here they did not react in the best way. What are you on about the leg? their is nothing wrong with the legs. I took two shots both hitting the head.

My point was IF you had shot it in the leg (Or any other part of the body which did not bring it down cleanly, as you say we all make mistakes) you would not have been able to shoot it again point blank! but would have to catch and kill it by hand!

I was taught how to dispatch animals by hand gut, clean and prep them before I was shown how to shoot!

Don’t take this the wrong way! it was just a friendly pointer!

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
Pignut said:
My point was IF you had shot it in the leg (Or any other part of the body which did not bring it down cleanly, as you say we all make mistakes) you would not have been able to shoot it again point blank! but would have to catch and kill it by hand!

I was taught how to dispatch animals by hand gut, clean and prep them before I was shown how to shoot!

Don’t take this the wrong way! it was just a friendly pointer!

Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to use my hands if there is a next time. I will just have to pluck up the corage and go for it.

But like you said you was "taught", i am teaching myself.

Thanks John

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
It is not as bad as you would think! and a load kinder to the Bird/Animal but again ensure you do it correctly!

Happy hunting and keep at it! the last thing you need is a moaner like me putting you off, shooting an important part of countryside life!

Oh and when you get the meat off try kebabing it with onion and pepper!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
scouser4life said:
I just got a pigeon (bloody tuff cookie) Took a .22 out my hw90k from 20 metres to the head and still managed 2 wriggle round with the entire back of its head ripped off. The secound from point blank smashed through the side of its face. I though enough was enough and attempted to pick it up(near headless now) and the little bugga wiggled round once more. I thought the humanest thing would to allow the dog to crush it one blow and it was finally ready for my first taste of pigeon. One question where is the meat :confused:

Also i was watching the pigeons this morning and the brown bird swooped around and all the pigeons scattered. It was faired similar to a pigeon, maybe smaller wing span? What was this?

"Also i was watching the pigeons this morning and the brown bird swooped around and all the pigeons scattered. It was faired similar to a pigeon, maybe smaller wing span? What was this?"

Sparrow Hawk?

Just a guess!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
scouser4life said:

Also a little update. I have seperate the meat from the rest of the body exact the breast bone. Now i was thinking about going bushcraft and having the outdoor oven. Would i be best seperating the meat fro mthe bone for this or not?

Also i was squmish while doing this, but as i previously stated i have not done nor seen this done before. It would be only normal for me to show some reaction.

For a first attempt i would fry it!!

Good on ya for having a go at preping it!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Leon-1 said:
You could take the head off, remove the feathers from the pigeon breast, clear out the crop.....
Talking of the crop (a special part of the digestive system)... its always a good idea to check this on a pigeon if you are going to eat it. Check its last meal as you dont want to eat anything that has been feeding on garbage..... Around here its quite comon to find small bits of styrofoam and other packageing in the birds showing they are eating the local fast food rubbish (including plastic..... which can't be good for them... or you), and I leave them well alone.

:)
Ed

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
Bulletproof? This seems so:S I have just been out and i hit another pigeon clean in the head. It fell and while i was sorting my kit out i left it. It was there liing still for upto 5 minutes. I left the cover and it hoped up had a little run and flew off. I wouldn't mind but the other pigeon was missing the entire rear of its skull now this one was missing the front and its eye. What is going on? Are these pigeons "deflecting" the pellets off their skulls and just been knocked out? Should i aim for their throat or chest instead?

These birds must be in pain. I am wondering if a sub 12/ft/lbs .22 is really powerful enough 2 humanely kill?

Also i am using accupell pellets if this makes any differece.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I tend towards a .177 for birds du to the greater penetration! however I have used my.22 to great effect also..

Are you sure your gun is up around 12ft/lb

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE