Pheasant Recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
Though i have tried many game type foods i am only now about to try pheasant. A friend of mine has provided me with a prepared bird and i am now seeking the advice of you fellow bushcrafters for a simple but tasty recipe.

I have been on a variety of recipe sites but most of the dishes are a bit on the extravagant side. Ideally i would like a recipe that could be repeated in the woods yet tasty also. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Poaching it works well too and the juices and liquids can be used for soup, especially if you add veggies and herbs to the mix.
Basically bring a pot of water with herbs and seasonings (you can always use stock cubes if you're really being lazy) to the boil. Lower the prepared pheasant into the pot topping up with more hot water if necessary until the bird is barely covered. Bring back up to the boil and then reduce heat until it's just simmering. After about 25 minutes try piercing the pheasant's thigh with a sharp knife, if the juices run clear it's cooked enough, if they look cloudy or a bit bloody let it simmer a bit more.
Really simple.
When cooked, remove the bird and cut up as needed. Turn the stock into soup (think a sort of less greasy chicken) and add the litlle pieces of meat you haven't eaten to enrich it.
No waste, one pot, good food. Traditionally served with rowan jelly up here though I got told recently that a chocoalate mouse made using the sloes from the sloe gin was excellent with it :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
D'you use any of the gubbinses? Heart, liver, kidneys that sort of thing? It always seems a shame to waste them, but the smell from the guts from grouse and pheasant is pretty *ripe*.
I have a friend who insists that the trachea boiled up becomes really juicy and tasty; she insists on adding it to her soup as a bit to be *sooked out*.
I'm vegetarian, it just sounds so gross to me, but it's supposedly good food. :confused:
Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Spacemonkey said:
I'm a mortician, so all offal sounds/looks gross to me...!

I'm a part time veggie, if that makes sense, due to my work. I do eat meat but not very often, and preferably not on the bone. Times change...

:D :lmao: :D

Toddy

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
You mean
puke.gif
??

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
try cooking it slowly in goose fat (or something similar). bring your fat to the point where its only just bubbling and cook the pheasant in quarters for a couple of hours. leave it to cool in the fat and it'll keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge. serve it witrh some beans or lentils you've boiled up with yer favourite herbs.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
phaesant breasts butterflyed ,stuffed with haggis and wrapped with a couple of rashers of streaky bacon roasted in the oven ,absolutely the best recipe i ,ve done with pheasant yum!!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE