Paracord wraped handles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Yes i like the new rambo knife. Dont ask me why.

Possibly because it's the most practical knife he's used so far :) albeit a little to short for a trip into the jungle.

http://www.cartertown.com/rambo1.htm

I'd have to agree with Toddy, having been elbow deep in quite a few large game animals I know it's important to be able to thoroughly clean both blade and handle afterwards, something that wouldn't be possible with a cord handle.

seved

Maker
Dec 10, 2007
Sweden
www.sevedsknivar.se
I agree a buschcraft knife have do a lot of hardwork. And it have to be easy to clean it.

That wrapping looked great:D. But i wonder if its suitable for buschkraft knives.

Toddy: That looks very nice, It must be a good grip with it when its dry. If they used it on ships in the old days it must have worked, or maybe it was the only material they have.

sandbender: LOL yes you have a point there. The other knives maybe is just "filmknives".
I wouldn`t use paracord for a huntingknife its not the best material and not practical i think.

Seved

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Interesting that the new "Rambo" knife looks more like a golok or parang than the previous "Bowie" derivatives

RamboIVMovie.jpg

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
paracord wrapped handles seem to be great for fighting knives for carrying concealed, because they are slim, and lighter than most other options (wood, plastic, metal ect) also they look "tacticool". for use over long term they are uncomfortable, but for the use they where first realy used for, that's not a problem. I can see the use of them in a bushcraft knife if the cord wrap is over a slim plastic, wood or metal handle, that could be used without the cord, but is uncomfortable.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
Paracord wraps can be quite good on small, cheap utility knives. I've made a few out of old saw blades as quick, cheap and easy tools for friends or family. They can be just as comfortable if done right and if soaked in epoxy are waterproof and relatively easy to clean

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I think some paracord wrapped knives are great. Perfect for lightweight neckers and easily replaced over time if the cord becomes too grungy.

I've been wearing paracord-wrapped neckers for years and find them extremely handy.

may_necker1c.jpg

buckneck1c.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry, I think it looks like a dirt trap and a blistered hand in the making.
Hoodoo, I'm sorry, but I think that's the first ugly knife handle I've ever seen you show. :eek: :eek:

As for 'tactical' and lightweight, camouflaged.....guys, women manage with the thin fine handle of a nail file because it's shaped, if the knife makers just took a little more effort the plain metal handle can itself be very comfortable in use.
Look at the little skinners from Aitor, for instance, or the micro and mini Canadians from BRKT for very lightweight slimmer than paracord handles.

http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/aitor-knives/skinner-aitor-knives.asp

http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/canadian_guide/minicanadian/index.html

cheers,
Toddy

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have one of these on order from Mr Guycep on BB.

neckmuk003.jpg

neckmuk001.jpg

I think the handle looks excellent and functional.

I generally don't care for cordwrap on a large knife but I have to say, that is a beautiful knife. I reckon it is as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Now one of the funny things about this thead is I can't think of too many things more "bushcrafty" than wrapping a cord around a knife for a handle. This is so common among tribal people in South America, it almost goes without saying. :confused: This is especially common after the wooden handles on their machetes rot off or the plastic handles crack and fall off. Or they use them with no scales at all. Not to mention it was common here among the tactical wood carvers to wrap the handles on their crooked blades.

knife.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Sorry, I think it looks like a dirt trap and a blistered hand in the making.
Hoodoo, I'm sorry, but I think that's the first ugly knife handle I've ever seen you show. :eek: :eek:

Well, I guess I'm guilty of practicing unsanitary bushcraft. Damn proud of it too. As for blisters, this is where common sense comes in and why people over here carry more than one knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE