Pants?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I'm looking round for a alternative to cotton underpants for use underneath Buffalo trousers and other (relatively) warm when wet synthetics.

I don't fancy going commando or pertex jockeys (I like to find things where I left them...) and the Northface seamless briefs I found in a shop on Deansgate, Manchester (saddly now minus two of it's outdoors shops since my last visit) seamed indecently thin and overpriced at 16 quid a pop.

So can anyone recomend something high wicking, strechy, easily laundered and reasonably priced?

I've plenty of long johns whch do a great job but can't find any short pants.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Excellent idea!, I was glaring at a beeeg bike shop (it had been my favourite outdoors kit shop, one of the two I'd mentioned as closed since my last visit) on Deansgate earlier today and it never entered my head to go in.

D'oh!

Tom

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I have the Helly Hansen shorts that really do the job......

......don't know if you would class them as cheap though :rolleyes: mind you i tend to wait untill there is a sale on. Got my last few pairs at Blacks for a tenner each :D

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Tom
I wear Low Alpine Dry Flo underwear on the hill and in the woods and I think they are hard to beat. As you say not cheap (£15) but hardwearing. Two different weights avalibl, but the heavyweight seems to be quite hard to find now.
My friends used to cut down worn out Ron Hills before we had these. The new Smart wool stuff might be even better as a lot less smelly (though pricey too!) I think to avoid chaffing and for a dry bum its worth the money! :D

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yeah, I'm going to just have to stop being cheap, I'll happily pay 20 odd quid for a pair of Sealskinz socks so why I begrudge paying for a functional pair of shreddies I don't know!

Cheers for the suggestions.

Tom

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Seriously , you dont want to learm the hard way !! :rolleyes:
I did , as a cadet , we did the 100km van eypre , which is basicly a 3 day march (stroll) in rememberance of the great war . I never realised a pair of boxers could become such an implement of torture ! :eek:
They certainly rubbed a few areas raw !!!
And we wont go into what happened when i went strolling round a belgum army camp looking for some vasaline for my bottom :eek:
Oh well you live and learn !
Pumbaa

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
Icebreaker merino ones are lovely. It makes sense to spend a little more on your tighty-whiteys. A nice pair makes a big dif!

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I prefer briefs and bought some silk Patra pants on the recommendation of someone from this forum.

I have found them to be very good. They are thin, but dry very quickly, don't get clammy and don't attract the smell that man-made clothing can.

I wear them at work. Slogging up a hill, fighting a fire in the heat of summer while wearing gore-tex lined, thermally insulated fire trousers really puts your undies to the test! Cotton briefs stay soggy for hours after but the silk ones are noticably more comfortable.

http://www.patra.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=117&C1=2&C2=0&C3=37

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
second the recommendation for merino wool icebreaker boxers. However, a cheaper alternative for winter wear, have a look in places like M&S for nylon boxers. I picked up some last year, very comfortable, but probably a bit warm for summer, about £3.99.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
silk cami-knickers... as made for the 'larger lady'. Brilliant bit of kit and don't hum as quickly as synthetics. Wore them continually when racing a yacht around Britain and Ireland years ago.

Might get a few odd looks when you go and buy them tho ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE