Paleo/Primitive/Stone age skills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Fluxus said:
maybe because it could help you give up???!
Flux

I gave up 11 days ago thanks, not an easy thing to do when I share a house with someone else that smokes.

You'll probably end up inhaling more smoke from fire by friction than you will in smoking a cigarette, the point is that Yesterday I was sat ouside practicing fire by friction (both hand and bow drill), this is because I wanted to.

However if I need to light a trangia or a gas burner I am more likely to pick up a box of matches or a lighter than to get out my friction fire set. Today the weather is foul so I got out my strike a light and practiced with that (I can't have the house smoked out:eek: ).

I don't know too many people that use traditional whetstones, they use water stones, oil stones, ceramics and synthetic / abrasive sheets, not that you can't find a spyderco sharp maker or DC3/4 by just digging them out of the ground:rolleyes: , the reason being accessibility and ease of use.

I have a peice of whetstone that I had allowed a kindly Badger to dig up for me :D and I have tried sharpening with it, it ain't anywhere near as easy as all the nice fancy Lansky sets and sharpmakers and to be honest it is not as effective.

My point is that there is a big interest in Paleo skills, just that people are generally lazy and will use the quickest and easiest path to achieve there aim if they do not have either the time or the enviroment to practice the skills.

I could be sat outside in the rain at the moment practicing bow drill under a tarp, instead I stayed in and practiced with a strike a light and most people wouldn't even bother with trying the strike a light.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE