Paddling Outrigger Canoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I spent most of yesterday paddling an outrigger canoe, one with an outrigger on each side

I've had no experience with these before and wonder if there are easier ways of handling them.

I sat at the stern as I have seen the local fishermen do and used an improvised J-stroke . I had to improvise as the paddle shaft hit the aft boom if I used a normal J-stroke so I had to complete the stroke and feather earlly and hold the paddle shaft quite horizontal and use my lower hand as a pivot point on my hip. It was a smooth action but I could not get enough "J" in the stroke - it was more like a "j" and I had difficulty tracking a straight course

Needless to say my arms and shoulders ache quite a bit.

Any tips thoughts welcome

David B

May 12, 2006
Tadcaster North Yorks
Try using a white water steering stroke called a "power pry".
This involves using a normal forward stroke for the power phase but instead of rolling the top thumb down and doing a J type rudder, keep the thumb up and as the paddle comes level with your hip rest the paddle shaft on the side of the boat and do a quick jerk inwards with your top hand this should have the effect of levering the stern of the boat back on track.
Dont make the pry to big or you wil kill forward momentum short power strokes and short prys tend to work best.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thank you gents

The stroke I was using and trying to explain is similar I think to what some of the canoe sites call a running pry a power pry on the move except that the pivot was my hip not the gunwale as the seat in the outrigger put my hip higher than the gunwale.

My pry strokes did tend to stop forward motion which was a nuisance with the headwinds and softer ones did not have a sufficient effect. Most things I did caused either the shaft or blade to strike the boom.

I think I can solve the problem with your advice

Do outriggers tend to have the aft boom just behind the stern paddler's seat?

That site you mentioned George was great. I must try that Indian stroke

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
BOD said:
Thank you gents

The stroke I was using and trying to explain is similar I think to what some of the canoe sites call a running pry a power pry on the move except that the pivot was my hip not the gunwale as the seat in the outrigger put my hip higher than the gunwale.

My pry strokes did tend to stop forward motion which was a nuisance with the headwinds and softer ones did not have a sufficient effect. Most things I did caused either the shaft or blade to strike the boom.

I think I can solve the problem with your advice

Do outriggers tend to have the aft boom just behind the stern paddler's seat?

That site you mentioned George was great. I must try that Indian stroke

Hi BOD

The indian stroke is meant to deal with exactly the problem you talk about with the pry stroke stopping forward motion, especially in higher winds. Because the paddle blade is always in the water you can correct anything as you paddle rather than correcting during the next stroke.

I'm not sure what kind of outrigger you're paddling but I've come across all sorts of regional variations - generally the outrigger will be just behind where you sit but if you are paddling solo you should be able to shift forwards a little to give some more clearance.. With the Indian stroke though you shouldn't have to pull the paddle back any further than your hip for it to be effective.

Hope this helps.

Regards

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE