Paddle Problems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Not really a problem more a question.
The other day we had a move about in the house which involved the disarment of a pine structure bed frame.
After reading ray's visits with yeukena(s orry if ive spelt that wrong)
I had an idea of using the large long pine bits on the sides.
Now the rest of its going to be chopped and bagged into kindling, but im wondering if its possible to turn one of these large sides into a paddle.
The tools im thinking of using.
Are a hack saw,tennant saw,Mora clipper,Small axe.
Any advice?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I don't see why not. I have made paddles with an axe, a knife and a spokeshave. The spokeshave is a really useful tool. The one I used was a old wooden one bought at a car boot sale for 50p, I think it was.

You may want to add some sand paper to your arsenal, to give it a reasonably smooth finish, particularly on the shaft and handle bit. It helps prevent blisters. not so inportant to have a smooth blade, it gives a better grip in the water!

You just need to make sure there are not knots on the shaft.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Have a look on SOTP as there is pics and description of how to make one.Cant find it at the mo but sure its there.Dave

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The sides of a pine bed make a great bed for a pole lathe. Why not make one of those? It seems a waste of good wood to me to chop three quarters of it out to make a paddle. Still, if a paddle it is, that quality of wood should make a good one.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Whats a pole lathe?

This is a pole lathe.
picture9.jpg

It's a reciprocal wood turning device used to turn greenwood without the need for power. It uses a springy pole at one end of the cord and a lever that you push down with you foot.
In the photo, you see where the bed of the lathe is made from two lengths of strong timber. That's what you could use the pine side pieces for as well as the poppets (head and tail stocks).

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE