Oxford Wild Food Walk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
It may be a little bit early in the year, but with all the green stuff leaping out of the ground at the moment, I'm anxious to get out and start some foraging around the local woods and fields. I hasten to add that I'm no expert - far from it - but wondered if any of the other Oxford locals might fancy a day out searching for and sharing knowledge of some of the wild goodies around here.

For myself, I'd be inclined to go to Bagley Wood or Radley Wood, or one of the nature reserves in Dry Sandford (accepting that you can't pick stuff there but you may see some interesting things). Wytham Wood is probably good, but I don't know it. Jarn Mound / Matthew Arnold Field would also be a good location together with some of the footpaths that cross Boars Hill, but if anyone does want to meet up and has their own preferred places, just say so...or ignore this posting! I'll be going out myself in any case, armed with my small, but heavy, library of books.

Geoff

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Geoff
Wouldn't mind doing this but I'm a bit tide up for the next 4 weekends due to other commitments :( Well at least one of them is putting up a new shed/workshop :)

In the mean time you might want to get in touch with 'Bushcraft Bob' who is from round these parts too, it sounds like he is looking for somewhere to go bushcrafting.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I would be up for a walkabout - I have a Wytham permit which allows me to bring friends too - you arent allowed to pick anything, but again lots of things to see etc.

Boars Hill is a good shout, there are some unofficial paths through Youlbury wood also, where you can get away with picking wild greens, and I know there is a lot of wood sorrel there and wild garlic etc.

I am going shooting this sat and will have to spend some time with the mrs on sunday but am free for most wkds after! Just let me know.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I would be up for a walkabout - I have a Wytham permit which allows me to bring friends too - you arent allowed to pick anything, but again lots of things to see etc.

Boars Hill is a good shout, there are some unofficial paths through Youlbury wood also, where you can get away with picking wild greens, and I know there is a lot of wood sorrel there and wild garlic etc.

I am going shooting this sat and will have to spend some time with the mrs on sunday but am free for most wkds after! Just let me know.

I too have a Wytham permit - and a Bagley Wood one. Since posting, I've gone a bit ill and am off work (some sort of bug) so this weekend would be out in any case. I'll see how things are next week.

Geoff

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I'd be up for this too. I know a bit I may be able to contibute. It'll be good to put the knowledge together. For me the latter half of March would be best or anytime after that depending on work. How about an overnighter at Faringdon campsite - (fires allowed) and we could walk up to the ridgeway and down to Waylands smithy. It'd be good to meet the other local Oxfordshire bushcrafters and maybe have a couple of beers and a feed-up around the camp fire? :)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I'd be interested if I can but I'm tied up for a couple of weekends - in fact untill after Easter ;)
Any dates proposed yet?

Mark

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'm still recovering from what turned out to be Labyrinthitis (viral infection of the inner ear), so it's been very frustrating not being able to get out with all the wonderful weather we have been having recently.

Never been to the campsite there, but going down to Faringdon sounds a good idea. I can probably fit in with whatever dates are proposed - don't have too much on at the moment apart from around the Easter weekend...and possibly Swyn's birch tapping weekend in late April.

Geoff

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I'd be interested if I can but I'm tied up for a couple of weekends - in fact untill after Easter ;)
Any dates proposed yet?

Mark

Well after easter would suit me too and there'll be a few more plants showing themselves by then too. How does 5/6 April sound to everyone?
I've never been to the campsite either but I know of it. read a bit about it here - http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=4476
I don't think it's got trees for hammocks so it'll be tents but we can have a fire and a cook up so that'll do for me........'arry. Let me know what you think folks and lets get something down in the calender

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Game on then. I'm happy with just a few people but don't mind opening it up a bit if any one else is interested in coming along.

Ahh yes, the world famous FR stew. No worries I'd be happy to cook us all one. If I get all the ingredients and we can chip in a couple of quid each or so to pay for the ingredients.
Dumplings as well if you want them :)
I'm off this weekend (5/6 April) so can definately make it. It's a really nice walk down to Waylands Smithy (ancient buriel tomb) from the White horse hill. I havn't been there for a couple of years or so now, but it's chalk so there should be some interesting plants about. Don't forget your Plant ID books :)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I agree that a small gathering would probably be best. Didn't want to put pressure on you to do your stew!

I could give someone a lift down there if they don't have a car by that time.

Guess that someone needs to contact the site to check that they are open for camping that weekend.

We've been at the White Horse once a year for the past four years (2004 scatter mother-in-law's ashes; 2005 visit the last resting place on the anniversary; 2006 scatter father-in-law's ashes; 2007 visit the last resting place again). I suspect that they're in company with quite a few people from stone age to present.

Might also be a chance for me to get hold of some flint.

Geoff

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Gentleman

if there is still room, I would love to come along if that's OK. Not sure if i can do the overnighter, need to check a few commitments!!!

I'm also able to give a lift from Oxford if anyone needs it.

Cheers

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Do people want to add their names to the list then we get some idea of numbers for booking the site? This would be for a small meet-up on the weekend of 5/6 April with an overnight stop at Britchcombe Countryside Holidays, the farm camp site just below White Horse Hill, which allows open fires.

Toadflax (Geoff) - overnight.

Geoff

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Do people want to add their names to the list then we get some idea of numbers for booking the site? This would be for a small meet-up on the weekend of 5/6 April with an overnight stop at Britchcombe Countryside Holidays, the farm camp site just below White Horse Hill, which allows open fires.

Toadflax (Geoff) - overnight.
Wolf man (Manse) - just the day at the moment.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Any more takers for this yet? I'd like to contact the farm to check on booking. We've had potential interest for overnight camping from Toadflax, Falling Rain, Buckshot and day visit from WolfMan, AMott69.

What do people want to do regarding timings? Let me put down a suggestion to start the ball rolling - please feel free to comment /amend /suggest alternatives.

Arrive Saturday afternoon, pitch camp, show off our toys, cook dinner, chat, etc.
Sunday, breakfast, break camp, walk along the Ridgeway to Wayland's Smithy, look for wild food, etc. Split up to go home when we've had enough.

Geoff

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I can only make it for the Sunday walk now as I have to work till 10pm on the Saturday (overtime)

How about we meet up at 10 am on the Sunday morning at the campsite car park. If we bring a packed lunch and we can find somewhere to sit down for a brew up along the way.
As far as I remember it's about a couple of miles from the car park at the white horse to Waylands Smithy.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I would love to come along to this but its a bit too far for me for a one night-er.. Hope you find loads of useful plants, I know the area and there certainly should be plants aplenty..
Want to see lots of photo's please....
The smithy is supposed to be haunted, so keep an eye out for the locals there...

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I can only make it for the Sunday walk now as I have to work till 10pm on the Saturday (overtime)

How about we meet up at 10 am on the Sunday morning at the campsite car park. If we bring a packed lunch and we can find somewhere to sit down for a brew up along the way.
As far as I remember it's about a couple of miles from the car park at the white horse to Waylands Smithy.

OK - I'm happy with that - there was only you, me and possibly Buckshot for the overnight in any case so may be simplest just to go for the day now. But I'm wondering if it would be better to meet at the official car park (Grid Ref 293867) - the farm may not be happy for us to use their parking if we aren't camping.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE