Outdoor Candles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
At some meets we have used candles in improvised windproof holders made from milk bottles. I recently found this alternative. You can get these at the supermarket in boxes of three:

knoydart077.jpg

They are supposed to burn for 5 hours, and not blow out in the wind. However, the blurb suggests they should not be left out in rain, and should not be used indoors.

Not a bad thing to have when a fire is not feasible. They contain citronella as a midge repellent. I don't think citronella is much use, but i suppose every little helps.

Much brighter than an ordinary candle, and might keep you warm in a tent, although not outdoors. However, you would need to ensure very good ventilation - I am aware of several cases of fatal carbon monoxide poisoning due to barbecues being used inside enclosed tents.

Interestingly, it fits as a burner for the military trangia. In tests, it gets water very hot, but never quite reaches the boil. It leaves a lot of soot as you would expect.

The base gets hot in use, and is made of steel, so quite heavy to pack in and out.

I have tried improvised candles from resin or resinous wood - mine never seem to last long, so the outdoor candle could be useful for winter trips where a fire is not feasible.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I'm pretty sure it was Asda. If it wasn't it must have been Tescos. I think it was £3 or £4 for the box of 3.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I want one of those uco candle lanterns, but feel like I've got too much gear already.

I was thinking that if I get a glass jar with metal lid, then I could drill small holes in the lid to wire through for hanging, and a big hole in the middle for ventilation, and plonk a tea light in it. I'll post pictures when I get around to it. If it works!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I want one of those uco candle lanterns, but feel like I've got too much gear already.

I was thinking that if I get a glass jar with metal lid, then I could drill small holes in the lid to wire through for hanging, and a big hole in the middle for ventilation, and plonk a tea light in it. I'll post pictures when I get around to it. If it works!

Or, one of these :)

DSCF3260.jpg

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I have tried improvised candles from resin or resinous wood - mine never seem to last long

For an improvised heat source have a look at this thread. They don't last as long as a candle (Mk 2 lasts about 20 mins or so - withought a wind shield) and you'd still have the waxy sootyness :( .

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Nifty beer lantern, fella. I've made one like that before, and tried adding a globe made from a plastic bottle to make it wind proof, but it just melted. :)

Has anyone got any ideas for making a semi-permanent candle lantern? We can replace a trangia with a pepsi can stove, so can we make a semi-permanent candle lantern?

I love the UCO candles and thought about getting one, but whilst browsing through my local tat shop (home bargains) I found this little lantern for 99p.
When coupled with one of John Fennas pouches I find it works great.
SA400091.jpg

It will hold 5 spare candles with room for more.
SA400092.jpg

It has only blown out once in the dozen times I have used it.(during a middlemud squall:lmao: ).
SA400093.jpg

They came in green, pink and light blue, but I noticed they had them in bare galvanized look last week. I noticed that the attached label on the one I had and the galv ones on the shelf stated £1.99 but mine was shelf edged at 99p. even at £1.99 they are a bargain IMO.

Bodge

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
cool! I made two simple lanterns yesterday by taking the label off glass jars and using thin wire to make a hanging loop by coiling it around the lip. I'll post photos when I'm not feeling lazy, but it's hardly rocket science. You just light a tealight and drop it in, then stand or hang it somewhere.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
At some meets we have used candles in improvised windproof holders made from milk bottles. I recently found this alternative. You can get these at the supermarket in boxes of three:

knoydart077.jpg

They are supposed to burn for 5 hours, and not blow out in the wind. However, the blurb suggests they should not be left out in rain, and should not be used indoors.

Not a bad thing to have when a fire is not feasible. They contain citronella as a midge repellent. I don't think citronella is much use, but i suppose every little helps.

Much brighter than an ordinary candle, and might keep you warm in a tent, although not outdoors. However, you would need to ensure very good ventilation - I am aware of several cases of fatal carbon monoxide poisoning due to barbecues being used inside enclosed tents.

Interestingly, it fits as a burner for the military trangia. In tests, it gets water very hot, but never quite reaches the boil. It leaves a lot of soot as you would expect.

The base gets hot in use, and is made of steel, so quite heavy to pack in and out.

I have tried improvised candles from resin or resinous wood - mine never seem to last long, so the outdoor candle could be useful for winter trips where a fire is not feasible.

Ikea do similar candles but without the metal cover over the top of the candle, £1.50 for 6 I think, pretty windproof.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I love the UCO candles and thought about getting one, but whilst browsing through my local tat shop (home bargains) I found this little lantern for 99p.
When coupled with one of John Fennas pouches I find it works great.
SA400091.jpg

It will hold 5 spare candles with room for more.
SA400092.jpg

It has only blown out once in the dozen times I have used it.(during a middlemud squall:lmao: ).
SA400093.jpg

They came in green, pink and light blue, but I noticed they had them in bare galvanized look last week. I noticed that the attached label on the one I had and the galv ones on the shelf stated £1.99 but mine was shelf edged at 99p. even at £1.99 they are a bargain IMO.

Bodge

Like the look of those!

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Buy a tin of Chaffing gel. About £1.75 per tin on ebay. Take off the lid and light it, put the lid back on to put it out...easy. Its made from a sugar based alcohol gel which is clean burning, no fumes, no carbon monoxide, can be used indoors, heats your tent up a treat, fits inside a 3 tier trangia cooker, burns for2 hours...jobs done. Just dont set your tent on fire lol

Gray

Buy a tin of Chaffing gel. About £1.75 per tin on ebay. Take off the lid and light it, put the lid back on to put it out...easy. Its made from a sugar based alcohol gel which is clean burning, no fumes, no carbon monoxide, can be used indoors, heats your tent up a treat, fits inside a 3 tier trangia cooker, burns for2 hours...jobs done. Just dont set your tent on fire lol

Gray

I use chaffing gel for cooking on but the flame gives off next to no light as the flame is blue.:)

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I bought some chafing gel a couple of weeks ago (I was cooking curry for 50 people, and had borrowed some chafing dishes). 70p a tin in Makro, and even cheaper if you buy a box of 24 - as long as you can get a card - I borrowed one.

As already said, no good for light, however.

I like the look of Bodge's little metal lanterns, and will keep my eyes open for them.

A little while ago Lidl were selling solar-powered garden lanterns at a very cheap price. My FIL bought some to mark out his driveway. It occurred to me that if the lantern part was detached from the spike that it's mounted on, and a wire hanger attached, one of these could be easily charged up during the day (hung on the outside of a rucksac, for example), and then used at night for free lighting.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I bought some chafing gel a couple of weeks ago (I was cooking curry for 50 people, and had borrowed some chafing dishes). 70p a tin in Makro, and even cheaper if you buy a box of 24 - as long as you can get a card - I borrowed one.

As already said, no good for light, however.

I like the look of Bodge's little metal lanterns, and will keep my eyes open for them.

A little while ago Lidl were selling solar-powered garden lanterns at a very cheap price. My FIL bought some to mark out his driveway. It occurred to me that if the lantern part was detached from the spike that it's mounted on, and a wire hanger attached, one of these could be easily charged up during the day (hung on the outside of a rucksac, for example), and then used at night for free lighting.

SP, the solar garden lanterns are not up to much to be honest mate; that said, they would be OK in a one man tent (minus the spike of course). You are better off with a tea light candle type of lantern, so cheap to buy, I think lidl charge a quid for 50 candles, so 2p for a few hours light won't break the bank

These will take long life candles or the little tea lights, but throw the paraffin burner away, its crap, but for the money you can't wrong

eBay item 360088375590

For seven quid delivered its worth a buy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE