Out with the gamekeeper - at night

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
It started with a drink in the 'pub'.

A local youth hears my daughter talk to me in Cree. The youth thinks I'm Arabic, and says to his mates something along the lines of; "Hu, I didn't think arabs drank.."

My daughter put him right and he came over and apologised. Turns out his dad, who came in some time later was the local estate game keeper. We got talking and he said I could come out with him at the weekend and he'd organise something.

So one cold and clear night Simon the gamekeeper and me head out onto the estate. He normally uses a quad bike and searchlight for Fox, but he was willing to try call & search, so we left the flashlights and bike behind.

I called a few times and a male fox replied. Dog fox smell and along a fence line i guessed he'd come this way. We sat up a way off and sure enough a big male came along sniffing. (looking for a mate). My companion got him. The first he'd had by this method. We also got the smell of deer but my new friend told me we couldn't shoot them at night. We stalked the deer to a clearing and there were two females and one male - I can't remember the species - but tracking them in the mist was good fun and its a long time since I've done this. Pity about the law. We got two more fox later,both shot in the dark with no light.

I showed him how we carried game on our backs by putting the back feet through a slit cut in the front feet and carried the fox off like a rucksac.

We spent some time shooting rabbits which were damaging crops and trees. We did this using silenced .22. I've never fired a silenced gun before. It was interesting. He later also showed me a night sight. This was expensive and I'd not seen one before.

I had a great night out and the first hunting I've ever done in another country and also the first time I've shot with an Anglo or Englishmen. He was good a good shot.

Thank you for listening to my story.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Good story and sounds like an enjoyable night. Nice to hear of people being honest enough to apologise too. That doesn't happen as often as it should.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Sounds good Joe, I guess both parties learned a little something, which is just as it should be; nice story :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE